Male angelfish no longer fertilizing eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bette DeMarco

Reaction score
We have had a pair of breeding angelfish who gave us about 5 batches of eggs that were fertilized, turned into wigglers and then free swimming fry. The male is not fertilizing subsequent spawns. We did put in a new aquarium décor piece and are wondering if that disturbed him. She is laying hundreds of eggs on an anubias plant, but he is not fertilizing like he has done before. Any thoughts??

Welcome to TFF.

Are they still interacting as they have been in the past? Or is the male now avoiding--or threatening--the female, or is she threatening him?

We have had a pair of breeding angelfish who gave us about 5 batches of eggs that were fertilized, turned into wigglers and then free swimming fry. The male is not fertilizing subsequent spawns. We did put in a new aquarium décor piece and are wondering if that disturbed him. She is laying hundreds of eggs on an anubias plant, but he is not fertilizing like he has done before. Any thoughts??

Welcome to TFF.

Are they still interacting as they have been in the past? Or is the male now avoiding--or threatening--the female, or is she threatening him?
Hi Byron. They are still interacting like always, sometimes they head butt when they fight, but they are like any other couple... He just doesn't seem interested in fertilizing her eggs anymore. They are the only two in the tank, and we have a tank full of their babies... could it be the new Titanic décor I recently changed out in the tank?

Hi Byron. They are still interacting like always, sometimes they head butt when they fight, but they are like any other couple... He just doesn't seem interested in fertilizing her eggs anymore. They are the only two in the tank, and we have a tank full of their babies... could it be the new Titanic décor I recently changed out in the tank?

I wouldn't think the decor is involved. The reason I asked about their "relationship" is that a pair that have spawned a few times may not have actually bonded, and the "pair" can overnight break up, but there would most likely be much more to their divorce that what is evident. Maybe one of the angelfish experts can advise.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back