Male And Female In Same Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stevenufc

Reaction score
is it possible to keep a male and female siamese in the same tank without the male going for the female all the time?

thanks

not in your average aquarium

i'm sure theoretically it would be possible, for example if they were in a 3000 gallon tank they probably wouldn't run into each other that often so it could work. however for the home aquarist it's a no no

Hi there

I know every fish is different, but I have kept several males (one at a time) with groups of females (6-9) in a 50 L tank over the last few years. There is never a problem between the male and the girlies. A couple of the girls pick on each other for dominance, but only of the female social ladder. The male, upon introduction, will chase the girlies and flare excitedly for the first day, but will lose interest when he realises the females have none. I have bred the males with one of the females successfully a few times. Upon putting him into the breeding tank and introducing one of the females the next day, both are very eager to breed. I dont know if its because they miss each other after the day or two or because there are no other females around to spoil the fun (other females will not let one of their own breed with the male - jealousy I presume). However, an aggressive male might not ever let the girl(s) alone, some people may vouch for that, I just have not seen it. A sex-mixed tank has always worked for me. In saying that I have seen some nasty Betta females, that I had to return to petstores, as they constantly rampaged trying to KILL the male and females.

So my short answer is, it works for me but it depends on the temperament of the actual fish.

LEE

It is possible but I would not try it. I kept a male and a female together once in a fairly small tank. But they were both blind so they could not see each other. lol I would not try it unless you have 2 really old fish who can't see.

i have kept a male and female together but they were both very laid back, i'd never try it with any i have now, there all nutters :lol:

I would try it again if I had a big female because Carmel is almost fully blind. He can only see stuff close up. Also I have had Chance get into You Betas tank before and they were fine. I did remove them though.

one male + one female = nasty fight, if you're unlucky

one male + one female = breeding session, if you're lucky

one male + one female + whole bunch of babies = extra nasty fight

personally, i wouldn't mix the genders. if you want more than one betta in a tank, get females or install dividers.

I am pretty sure. I had them in a breeding tank and when my female got close he chased her but then she would get about 2 inches a head of him and he would stop... every time she cam close this repeated. Not exactly sure but I think he is blind. When I put the net in he runs when its is about 2 inches away or 3 inches also.

think i best keep them apart i dont want any problems as my male is very nasty at times

thanks for all your help really appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back