Male And Female Bettas In A 70 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LeopardPerch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I have a 70 gallon heavily planted with 7 panda cories, 7 white clouds, 3 fathead minnows, a German ram and Bolivian ram.
I was wondering, if it would work to put 2 male bettas and 4 female bettas. Would it probably work then.
Cheers

Even in a heavily planted tank, I'd be worried about one male betta with a GBR, let alone two. Females should be fine.

is it worth the risk? yes the tank is big but 2 males is asking for trouble let alone adding females to the mix too.

Ideally you want to be looking at a group of females *theres some very nice ones out there*

What are the tank dimensions?

It is not worth the risk housing more than a single male Betta splendens or a colony of females in a single tank. It is obvious that there must be some size that would be so big the fish would live like they do in the wild but 70 gallons is not all that big. For the rarer wild type bettas like B. smaragdina for example, a breeding colony can be established in a much smaller tank than that. Note: plakats are splendens, not wild type fish.

The splendens that we keep were bred for centuries to be fighters so even compared to a wild splendens our fish are very aggressive.

trust people here its not a mix they will rip each others fins n bodies to pieces the pain they wld go through because it sounds like a good idea its unimaginable it wld be like u being put in with a lion sure at first it may look at you to see what you are but after a few mins its gonna get ya

to put it bluntly

Hello I have a 70 gallon heavily planted with 7 panda cories, 7 white clouds, 3 fathead minnows, a German ram and Bolivian ram.
I was wondering, if it would work to put 2 male bettas and 4 female bettas. Would it probably work then.
Cheers

A point no one has picked up on is that german blues need very hot water in the 80s where as mountain minnows are temperate preffering 60 to 70 and fat hat minnows, although very hardy and addaptable are cold water fish happily wintering under ice. not even your bolivian rams would appresciate the high temp that your german blue rams need. i would consider rethinking your stocking quite seriously :good:

I would re think the stocking like said above and get some fish that would find the higher temperatures pleasing...coming from exsperiance i had white clouds and although they were happy with the high temperature they were less active because it was to hot for them and Idc what ppl say you shouldnt mix females and male Bettas

okay then i'll take out my german ram as i heard otherwise
so what else could i put in there then?
i love south american fish (and more specificly catfish)
but all answers welcome
thanks for replying
cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back