Malaysian Trumpet Snails - Yes Or No With Ada Aquasoil.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Would you introduce MTS into your planted aquarium with ADA Aquasoil?

• Yes - introduce them

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - keep them out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

craynerd

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Most of you are aware that malaysian trumpet snails are useful to turn over the substrate and reduce pockets of anairobic gases, as well as being moderate algae eaters.
When i had my sand substrate i thought this was a great idea, but now with ADA AS i am not so sure. The AS is much lighter and the granuals are much larger in size, so i don`t think gas build up is an issue. However, my other trail of thought is that MTS turn over the substrate, which is surely always a good thing.

Please add your vote, but also reply with a little explanation.

Thanks
Chris

what can it hurt? i have probably more than 50 in my tank by now, but only ever see a few at a time, they hide most of the day.

I voted against them.

The reason being is that allthough they do a great job they may ( over time ) brake down the structure of the aqua soil. Aqua soil is not like gravel and will break down when put under pessure and roughly handled so i could see the snails doing this but on a small and slow process.
MTS can get quite big so emagin one of those burrowing into your lovely aqua soil, Nahh go with amano shrimp and ottos for algae control.

YEs, now after those two replies i am with you moody.

I hadn`t thought about them breaking the AS up, but that could be possible. Also i find my AS is lighter than sand or gravel and i was worried they would uproot my plants at such an early stage since the root systems are not yet developed.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

I know this is an old thread but as any of our current members had malaysian trumpet snails with a substrate of aquasoil capped off with sand?

Wondering if the snails would uproot all the aquasoil?

I would be equally or even more concerned about the bacterial issues with any form of planting substrate for the fish, especially the substrate-level species. I suppose the snails might quicken this, just a thought.

Kind of regetting it now tbh Byron, first time using aquasoil and i wasnt aware or heard many issues of bacterial problems using it. I normally just do playsand with root tabs but i was planning on doing a land section with trees with a dried out river bed wrapping round it.

Im not having any bottom dwellers so i thought mts would be good to help turnover the sand but i dont want the aquasoil coming up to the surface as i think it looks messy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back