Malawi's with ich

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Smokefire1

Reaction score
I have a rift lake set up my cichlids are all in the 4-6 inch range I made a beginner mistake and introduced ich into my tank due to an issue with my heater and an inability to purchase one locally I began treatment with Victoria green I'm on day 4 spots are beginning to clear but my fish are all very lethargic and have stopped eating I figure I'll have at least 10 more days of treatment before I can replace the carbon and return water parameters to normal my question is will my fish be alright going that long without food

There are many of us here who believe raising the heat is the best treatment for ich. Many of the products sold to treat ich are either not that effective or cause additional stress and other issues. It is always best to avoid any additives.

With rift lake fish, you can raise the temperature to 86F (30 C) for two weeks. This should deal with the ich. Do a major water change (major meaning 65-70% of the tank volume) at the start (this can help raise the temperature, plus it is needed now to get rid of the medication anyway) and another water change after the first week (which should be the norm anyway, once weekly significant water changes). If worse comes to worse, you could use aquarium salt (not marine salt or table salt, just regular aquarium salt) as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back