Malawi Stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

becs66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping for some advice on the stocking of my 55 gallon malawi setup. Currently I have in there 6 pseudotropheus acei, 6 pseudotropheus socolofi and 6 labidochromis caerulus with the intention of removing excess males to get a 3:1 m:f ratio when I can sex them. Also in the tank is 5 other malawis of unknown species that came with the second hand setup that got missed when I took the previous occupants to the fish store. I decided to let them stay but now they have grown a bit they are extremely aggressive and will be removed soon. My question is can I get another species (again 3f + 1m) or will this be pushing things having 4 different breeding species? Is 16 malawi in a 55 gal too many? The tank is well filtered with an internal fluval 4plus and an external 304.

Thanks

Becs

hi There- IMO your tank is not overstocked. there shouldn't be a problem getting another species once you get rid of the others as long as there are a ton of hiding spots.

Thanks for replying! Have you or anyone got any ideas what other species would work with what I've got already?

There are endless possibilities...however I would stick to mbuna, seeing as that is what you have in there already...first and foremost, stay away from chipokae..lol
They make zebras look like angels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back