Malawi Adventures

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So a brief bit of background as to why I have decided to keep Malawis.... After setting up a 2ft cube marine tank we were taken with these creatures and so decided to sell the 6x2x2 SA & CA cichlid tank we had that we had lost interest in, to just get one big marine tank. So plans were made for the 6ft marine tank, and the 6ft tropical was sold. We had managed to rehome some of the fish beforehand, but because we wanted to get rid of the tank as soon as possible so we could order the marine, we bought a cheap Juwel 400 to put the rest of the fish in that we hadn't yet sold.
This included my polypterus collection. I tried selling them for months but had little to no interest, and really wasn't going to take them to LFS for them to make a massive profit on. So, came up with the idea of keeping them and getting something active to keep at the top. So we decided on Africans, as Polypterus are also African.
However I am not a fan of Tanganyikan, so decided to go for the colourful Malawis.

As I want to grow babies on (they can't go straight in with the polys as they will be eaten), I set up my Aqua One 3ft tank to use as a grow out.

I have hard water 8.2, so this combined with coral sand and ocean rock, meant that my Malawi's should be pretty happy.

We would like to use slate in the 5ft when they go in there, but for now, ocean rock came up locally so that is what I've used. Plus chucked in a load of fake plants I had lying around.

Filtration is an Eheim 2217+ and a Tunze 6015 powerhead.

It has marine bulbs in at the moment, which need to be changed over but so busy with everything at the moment it keeps being delayed, and needs to happen before lights have been on all day as they'd be too hot.

Fish are yellow labs, red empress, blue dolphins, aulonocara ngara and an as yet unidentified Mbuna species.

Here is a pic of the setup.

7527294696_f1862dec3d_z.jpg

I will do some individual photos later, but got to get going with dinner now!

Amazing CP!!! :D You really have gone full circle. :D

Haha, yep. Made sense to switch to Africans really as I live in such a hard water area anyway. That's why I never got any breeding with my SA's I think.

I bought a 4ft tank to use as a marine QT and got a bundle of things with it including some ocean rock. So this went into this tank :)

Looks a lot better now, I think you'll agree.

7591894588_de95ae9d29_z.jpg

7591853902_89107eb3f6_z.jpg

7591829302_7a5bb3fce5_z.jpg

7591818096_682d7575b7_z.jpg

7591806418_9d8f851cbe_z.jpg

7591795026_54ae733877_z.jpg

Stocking is:

Electric yellow labs
Dolphins
Red Empress
Labidichromis hongi
A. ngara
Saulosi coral red

I also have a 5ft tank with my polypterus in and some larger Malawis :) N. venustus, large male Yellow lab, a blue Peacock of some description and two unknown Mbuna that I need to get ID's on. I swapped my last two SA cichlids for the venustus, lab and peacock with a chap who has bought a fair few of my fish before. He was keeping the Malawis in with his SA and CA cichlids, not an ideal mix!

Great story CP. Good idea with the fish selection then.

Tank looks great btw. Glad to see the return of the amazing pictures too! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back