Making a tunnel....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello guys,
So you may of seen from a previous post that i am going to be rescaping my Fluval Edge. My plan is a more pretty and less cluttered look, while still giving my corydoras and shrimp plenty of hiding places.

One thing i want to keep which i purchased on a whim when one of my guppies was getting bullied was an artificial tree log. I know among the purists this has no place in a well scaped landscape, but my fish love playing in it and ive come to like its function over looks. So this got me thinking..., how about i bury it in the sand when I do my rescape. Keep the function, hide the look.

So how would i do this?

Ive seen pebbles in a media bag and layed over things give a platform to lay sand, but does anyone else have any ideas or have successfully done what I am trying to achieve? I have included a pic below for the piece in question

Thanks in advance as always....Nathan

Attachments

• 15930015860366190173730071856496.jpg
    15930015860366190173730071856496.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
Nothing wrong with artificial and that one looks quite good. Just push it down into the sand where you want it to go.

Yes, it looks good to me. As @seangee said, make sure to sand down any rough edges.

I did see that method, does the glue not break down over time? Or do the roots establish so it doesnt matter?
No, it doesn't break down. And even if it does, by then, the roots will be attached. (Option #2. ^)

I think ill stick to thread. Ive currently got Flame moss attached to a rock using thread. Even though i lost the plot and nearly just threw the moss in the bin :grr::dunno:

I usually put my hardscape items down before I add the substrate. That makes everything look a lot more natural: you don't see branches or rocks sitting on top of the sand in a river--they're always partially buried. It is more stable that way, too. Some critters will dig the substrate out from under hardscape and end up crushing themselves. If the heavy stuff is resting on the bottom of the tank, that doesn't happen.

I never liked messing with string in my tanks. I've always superglued my mosses and ferns right before I finish filling the tank with water. The roots eventually just grow over the glue and it disappears. If you use string, try to use pure cotton or something similarly biodegradable; otherwise you'll have to go in at some point and remove the string. Either method is just to hold the plant in place temporarily until the roots or rhizoids anchor to the wood or stone. That's what holds them there permanently.

I never liked messing with string in my tanks.
I use a mixture...

I use fishing line, black marine grade thread, and super glue. On wood (when its already underwater) I use fishing line.

If I am adding java fern on a dry piece of lava rock, I use super glue and fishing line.

So haf a look on amazon and it seems all the "aquarium superglue" is just bog standard cyanoacrylate. Which I have. Is the stuff i have ok? Dont want anything toxic for the little guys

See pics

Attachments

• 1593009444192410732905275535164.jpg
    1593009444192410732905275535164.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 15930094985787442990584974904839.jpg
    15930094985787442990584974904839.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 98
So haf a look on amazon and it seems all the "aquarium superglue" is just bog standard cyanoacrylate. Which I have. Is the stuff i have ok? Dont want anything toxic for the little guys

See pics
Never used that before, so I can't make any recommendations on that.

I use "Crazy Glue" super glue. Its always worked for me.

See pics
Yup - its all the same. I recognise the one in your hand as one I have used. It does actually work quite well on wet wood. Take it out of the tank and dry with a towel, stick on and you're good to go in a few minutes. Be aware that superglue dries white - there is no clear option. So be aware of how much you use and where you put it if that will bother you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back