Makeshift Fish Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AceFish

Reaction score
I'm short on cash for a large fish tank so I was thinking I could use a large plastic storage bin instead? Of course I would still have to buy the proper heating and filtering equipment but would this work? If so, does anyone have any suggestions about cheap and large containers sold online? (preferably Wal-Mart?)

Indeed, why not wait until you have the money to provide a suitable home? Putting the needs of the fish ahead of your own selfish indulgence would be wise would it not? ;)

You can use plastic storage boxes; they make very useful emergency/hospital/quarantine tanks, but they're not that great as a permanent home.

Apart from anything else, even the clear ones are not as good as glass, visually, and nearly all fish, however bright they are viewed from the side, are dull greenish brown when viewed from above :/

I'm short on cash for a large fish tank so I was thinking I could use a large plastic storage bin instead? Of course I would still have to buy the proper heating and filtering equipment but would this work? If so, does anyone have any suggestions about cheap and large containers sold online? (preferably Wal-Mart?)

I know someone who has successfully kept fish in one of these for over a year with no problems, other than the visually unappealing aspect. The fish don't mind though.

You need to be aware as well that the plastic can start to bow once you're putting a lot of water in there. If I had to guess, this would get worse as the size of the tub increased, unless it was REALLY sturdy.

AA is right. When I've used plastic the bin bends out and it gets worse as the days go by. You need to be sure you get a super sturdy one

OK sturdy this isn't a permanent fixture but I just want to make sure the fish will be alright :)

Get one of the flexible buckets, they are mega strong. I use them for water changes, and storing fish on a major clean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back