April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dgwebster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Advert on my local gumtree:

fish tank complete set up 16x10x10inches with approx 40 tropical fish

Apart from Fry i am not aware of any fish that could be happy in a quantity of 40 in a tank that size

There's loads of ads like that on gumtree. It makes me well angry. Just a little research can do good. Just off the top of my head I can remember some.
- A 25L with 4 goldfish. 
- A 60L with 2 plecs, 6 rosy barbs and a siamese fighter
- Biorb with a siamese fighter and platies.

Then this recent one...
http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/fish-tank-and-accessories-with-fish-for-sale/1019946139
What??!!! in a 29L!!! I emailed to have just the fish and they didn't get back to me. 

Makes you wonder what goes through peoples heads. I have to admit though, I did get new tank syndrome and a lot of people get excited and fill their tanks full of incompatible fish or overstock very quickly. Thus all these ads of fish tanks for sale at only a few months old because they keep dying...

Well, this is the usual way of fish tanks in the general populace :(

It's easy to forget because we're here, where people really care about fish and try to keep them in the very best conditions, that's not how most people do it :/

One thing that I still don't get is, Why do people say "My fish is quite happy in this tank?" I mean, Can anyone on planet earth talk to fish or read fishes expressions? XD

Because it makes them feel better to think that?

I will readily admit, my community tank is about 125% its stock "recommendation" but I'm filtering it over 200% required level and its 4' tank with mostly small shoaling fish - zebra danios, black neon tetras and so forth. It was an educated decision using my experience and knowledge.
techen said:
One thing that I still don't get is, Why do people say "My fish is quite happy in this tank?" I mean, Can anyone on planet earth talk to fish or read fishes expressions? XD
Hahahahaha

On the other hand, at least they are unloading everything. It's a bit better to at least own up to the whole rig needing to go than letting fish die slowly from neglect after becoming disillusioned with the hobby.

Can anyone on planet earth talk to fish or read fishes expressions? 

Don't know about you, but I talk to my fish all the time! They are always rude though and try to act like they can't hear me. 

I've recently got a neutral on ebay after refusing to sell my fish to someone who bid after they told me they were going to place the fish in a 115L tank with 11 other goldfish!!!! bearing in mind my fish is a fancy goldfish over 5 inches long! 
sad.png
 needless to say I will not be selling my fish on there anymore as I am still struggling to find a home for it after many enquiries and don't want a heap of negatives or neutrals for refusing to sell and am now offering it FREE to a good home and people are still coming back to me with less than adequate tanks for it when I ask them how they will house it.

techen said:

rofl.gif

Donya said:
Don't know about you, but I talk to my fish all the time! They are always rude though and try to act like they can't hear me. 

Yeah that's like mine, they ignore me all the time 
rolleyes.gif

betta fish said:
I've recently got a neutral on ebay after refusing to sell my fish to someone who bid after they told me they were going to place the fish in a 115L tank with 11 other goldfish!!!! bearing in mind my fish is a fancy goldfish over 5 inches long! :( needless to say I will not be selling my fish on there anymore as I am still struggling to find a home for it after many enquiries and don't want a heap of negatives or neutrals for refusing to sell and am now offering it FREE to a good home and people are still coming back to me with less than adequate tanks for it when I ask them how they will house it.
My in-law from my wife's maternal side (using the normal word to describe this person would be misleading) used to give me heartache with that, using bowls and a small 8L hexagonal tank with goldfish in them that were always going to grow bigger than ever suitable for the tanks.
Ny82 said:

Yeah that's like mine, they ignore me all the time :rolleyes:
First person who says theirs answers back... put the glue down!

techen said:
can anyone really say that fish in an overstocked tank are truly unhappy?

Donya said:
On the other hand, at least they are unloading everything. It's a bit better to at least own up to the whole rig needing to go than letting fish die slowly from neglect after becoming disillusioned with the hobby.

Can anyone on planet earth talk to fish or read fishes expressions? 

LOL, stuck up little creatures they are!

oh dear! poor fishies in that hideous tank!

My husband did not understand at first either why we can't stuff our aquarium full of fish so that it is teaming with them like in the stores. 

I find most people will inform themselves before getting a dog, cat, hamster, birds, or reptiles about their needs and their care, but when it comes to fish it seems that they are being viewed as throw-away, easily replaced.....so sad!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back