Major emergency!!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

McRic

Reaction score
just been to feed the fish n they all seem very pale, sittin just above gravel level, to give you an idea of how pale you can see no red in the neons at all, also fish seem to be just disapeering into the thin air! HELP I think I'm bout to lose all my stock :(

sunflower said:
Have you tested your water?
ok don't go daft at me but tested it how? what for? I dechlorinated when I set up n thats bout as far as I went tank as been happy as larry for a fortnight n was still happy only this morning :dunno:

had a tank years ago n never used to run any tests and all was fine

Well.. when fish sleep or are at rest, they tend to lay on the gravel and turn very pale. Thats when the lights are off. If the lights were off and it was dark in the room, and all the sudden you barge in a turn on the lights, thats your explanation, no need to worry.

But if they dont come around after about 15 to 20 minutes, something else is at work. What are your water parems? What size tank? Its inhabitants? The only thing I can think of right now is maybe Neon Tetra disease, but that only fades the colors on certain parts of the fish, not the whole fish.

So post back with the information and we will be more likely to help. ;)

Dakota

Dakota Ice said:
Well.. when fish sleep or are at rest, they tend to lay on the gravel and turn very pale. Thats when the lights are off. If the lights were off and it was dark in the room, and all the sudden you barge in a turn on the lights, thats your explanation, no need to worry.

But if they dont come around after about 15 to 20 minutes, something else is at work. What are your water parems? What size tank? Its inhabitants? The only thing I can think of right now is maybe Neon Tetra disease, but that only fades the colors on certain parts of the fish, not the whole fish.

So post back with the information and we will be more likely to help. ;)

Dakota
the blue is still there on the neons, yeah you hit it on the head the living room was in darkness as was the tank and I barged in n put the light on to feed em, water patterns I aint got a clue what you mean sorry, tis a 3ft tank dunno what that is in gallons? and latest stock is neons ( started with 10 can now only see 3 ) 2 x albino tiger barbs, 2 x mail sword tails, 2 x harlequin, 1x algae eater, 1 x plec

Hi McRic :)

I think what the members are trying to find out is whether your tank is cycled or not. If it isn't, there is a good chance that that is the cause of your problem.

Please read this article so that you can understand what we are talking about:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10099

Then. I'm sure you will have lots of questions, so feel quite free to ask them. We're here to help you. :nod:

Well then dont worry about those; they were just asleep. :nod:

But are you sure the other neons are gone, as in no where to be seen? If so.. did you recently add any new fish? And what is the behaviour like of the remaining fish? Any flicking on objects or not eating?

Dakota

Dakota Ice said:
Well then dont worry about those; they were just asleep. :nod:

But are you sure the other neons are gone, as in no where to be seen? If so.. did you recently add any new fish? And what is the behaviour like of the remaining fish? Any flicking on objects or not eating?

Dakota
neons are deffo gone mate dunno where they went, aint jammed up in the filter or nowt, all fish in the tank are pretty small so i would't have thought the'd have been eaten?

cheers for the link I'll have a wee read of that

uh oh just read the details and everything I have done has been wrong pretty much, all the fish I have in there I have bought within 2 - 3 weeks :( how do I check water levels is there some kind of kit ? Also what do you reckon the chances are of my fish surviving I feel as guilty as hell that I've put them in this situation :sad:

you can get a water testing kit at your local fish store, get the ones that test for ammonia, nitrITE and nitRATE, which are the most common ones.

goodluck to your fish :/

dont worry we all make mistakes when we start out. theres lots of info on this site about the fish thing so you might want to take a cruise through some of the forums so you can have an advantage of know the answers before the questions come up. thats what i do. good luck with your fishies.

ok problems have been cut down to the mysterious missing neons other than that the tank looks as healthy as can be this morning, the wee scare will make me get a testing kit though so lesson learnt......cheers folks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back