Major Emergency

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

suehic60

Reaction score
:sad: I dont know what to do ! My tank (approx 4 months old) has been running superbly - plants growing well - low levels of nitrate and amonia - PH 7.5 - last night did a water change and cleaned the filter in the pump (using the tank water) - because the pump was running slowly - and the fish were hanging around the top.

Levels were ok - slightly higher than usual but by no means excessive - I got in from work today to find my two price dwarf catfish dying ! Last night they were mega healthy - there was a dead cherry barb, and two dead black phantom tetras! Have isolated the catfish - but I dont hold out much hope - the fish are still hanging around the top - there is plenty of aeration in the tank.

Temperature is ok - in the middle of safe zone (around 76) - now even my clown loach - usually very shy is going to the top - whats going on here - I think they are all going to die overnight.

It sounds like some kind of chemical/poisonous substance got into the water. I had a problem with MTBE (Gasoline additive, leaked out of an abandoned storage tank and got into the village well) in the tap water.
If some noxious substance got into your tank, then the only thing you can do is frequent large water changes. If it is your tap water borrow or rent a R/O unit - use that or (expensive) buy distilled water.
What makes me suspect the tap water is that your fish became ill after the water change. Or maybe something got into the replacement water.
Not much to go on I know, just sharing my experience with bad water.

Do you know your exact levels of Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate??? Did you use a dechlorinator on your tap water? Maybe worth a call to your water supplier and make sure they're not adding anything or aware of any problems? I'd definately do another water change but try phoning your lfs and find out if you can buy some water from them (some do and some don't).

Hi suehic60 and welcome to the forum. :hi:

It's too bad your first post could not have been under happier circumstances. :-(

When you cleaned the tank did you clean the outside with windex or another household cleaner? Sometimes these can get into the water and poison the fish. When you use these products, be cautious and make sure you wash your hands before reaching back into the tank.

You said you did a "water change." Just how much water did you change? What are the water parameters now? Are you sure you added your dechlorinator?

use that or (expensive) buy distilled water

Distilled water? surely this isnt good for fish to live in?
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."

Bottled drinking water yes, but not distilled water......ie the stuff used in car raidators? Human can not drink this safely!
but hey what do I know :unsure:

Distilled water can be used IF the removed minerals are put back and a good conditioner is used, that said i dont use distilled water i think RO water is a much safer option if you are going to go down the buying water road, i do not recomend bottled waters as these are often rich in minerals and so have a high pH and hardness.

The symptoms described bare all the hallmarks of nitrite poisening which barbs and catfish both tolerate badly, even low levels of nitrite seriously affect the fishes bloods abilty to carry oxygen. A rise in nitrite could have been caused by the filter being blocked so excess nutrients were left in the tank, when the filter was cleaned a large portion of the bacteria colonies present would have been lost leaving not enough to deal with the nitrites present, causing them to rise even higher.
The course of action to correct this problem is to stop feeding the fish for 3 or 4 days and do small partial water changes daily until the ammonia and nitrite readings go back to 0.

I noticed something that no one has commented on -_- .....your Clown Loach really should be in 78-82 degrees. Also, hopefully you are aware that they are a schooling fish, so should be in groups of 4 or more (which explains why he's "normally shy"), and they can get up to 10" or more. They do grow slowly, but still need space to swim. How big is your tank?

You said you tank has been running for 4 months, yet you have Ammonia readings??? :look: If your tank is fully cycled, Ammonia should be at 0. Do you know your NitrIte level? You didn't mention that one. NitrAtes in the tank are fine (not in excess), but NitrItes should be 0, like Ammonia. Have you recently changed all of your filter media (you stated you "cleaned the filter in the pump"...how)? If so, do you have a biowheel or sponge in/on your filter that holds bacteria? If you don't, changing all your media will effectively remove all your bacteria and send your tank back into a cycle. Could be why your showing ammonia.

If you can provide more information of this sort, including actual test numbers, it will be much easier to figure out what's going on with your fish. :)

ketyana said:
use that or (expensive) buy distilled water

Distilled water? surely this isnt good for fish to live in?
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."

Bottled drinking water yes, but not distilled water......ie the stuff used in car raidators? Human can not drink this safely!
but hey what do I know :unsure:
Curious, with the water chages when you rinse a filter cartrage you also rise out all the natural, harmless bacteria that are necissary to maintain a proper balance in your aquarium water. This flux means that the water is not being properly cleaned, leaving the harmful bacteria (that may not be detected by store water tests) in the water that can make your fish very ill.

I do not know whatelse to tell you. :( Hope all goes well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back