Major Algae Problem On Plastic Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan Laurel.

Reaction score
Hey fellas, been a while since i been here. i can't believe i actually remembered my username & password! this is a good place so i'm glad.

my problem is my tank is in the worst place possible and i have nowhere else to put it. in front of a big window, over a heater, next to an A/C unit. algae grows like you wouldn't believe and it has ruined all my very expensive 2 dollar plastic plants! it would take someone a 100 years with a tiny brush to clean these suckers. i'm ready to toss them. any home remedies or some kina potion i can brew up to bathe them in and restore like new? :blink:

Mix up a diluted bleach solution and soak the plants for about an hour. Then just make sure you rinse them really well and use dechlorinator in the tank before putting them back in. More bleach will mean less time to kill the algae, but will also fade the plants and you'll have to use extra dechlorinator to be safe. I've been doing this for years with no problems, works great.

Throw them in the dishwasher with no soap; I would think that the hot water and jets would clean them realy well. I've never done this though. I would personally try replacing some with low light plants. My algae problem has gone down to almost nothing with live plants.

And by the way...
I :wub: Stan Laurel

Throw them in the dishwasher with no soap; I would think that the hot water and jets would clean them realy well. I've never done this though. I would personally try replacing some with low light plants. My algae problem has gone down to almost nothing with live plants.

And by the way...
I :wub: Stan Laurel

thanx guys. sorry it's been a while. i have no dishwasher, so i'll try the bleach method for now. when i rinse, no traces will be left behind? why do i need dechlorinator?

ty fellas :good:

Declor kills the bleach. (wich could kill your fish)
It also kills the other stuff in the water that could hurt your fish. You should always use it when adding water to your tank.
I use prime. It is the best thing I have ever tried. :good:

Plastic Plants of course will grow algae. Because :
1) u had either high flow rate OR air pump cause the dissolved oxygen higher then 8.5 mg/L

2) Plastic Plants don't grow, there don't take take in any trace/ minerals , that why algae take place unless round your Plastic Plants got fast growing real plants , example: riccia.

3) near windows = alot UV go into your tank.do u know how 100X of UV then t8 , t5 , PL light

shouldnt be an old thread...my plastic plants are covered in brown algae :(

Run for your lives, it's back from the dead.
RE012~Resident-Evil-Zombie-Posters.jpg

Glad to see you are having fun., :lol:

Keep to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back