Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Here are some pics of some magenta swallow snakechest guppies ♂
These were born 3 months ago...
IMG_7522a.jpg
IMG_7532a.jpg
IMG_7527a.jpg

Cool, the spotted chest on the first one is really nice, and i love the magenta on all of them
How do you get the guppies to grow up in only 3 months?
The mothers came from a line of blue ghost guppies (this is a very fast growing strain of mine). In this specific strain of blue ghost guppies, the females carry the magenta gene dominantly (YY females, so, not XX females). These virgin females have been crossed to red mosaic dumbo males. Those dumbo males are tuxedo bodied but carry snake pattern recessively. So, all male offspring showed magenta on their back bodies and finnage with a metallic chest (comes from the blue ghost guppies) with a snake pattern on their chests. Female offspring were all grey bodied (as their mothers) but without the magenta saddle and black finnage. YY females have dominant traits but pass on those traits only to their sons. The female offspring do show mosaic -snake pattern in their finnage.
If one would like to create total snakeskin or cobra guppies, these females are perfect to use.

There's a method to let guppies grow up even faster from fry to phenotypical adulthood... But that needs high temperatures, twice a day water change and mainly live food. And the result is a 2 months old guppy that looks like an adult. There are many breeders that work like this. Me myself don't like that method. For such guppies will go through their life cycle very fast and they're generally weaker. One of my friends is doing the same thing. This is the way that he can guarantee that he can provide wholesalers in a continuous way.

The mothers came from a line of blue ghost guppies (this is a very fast growing strain of mine). In this specific strain of blue ghost guppies, the females carry the magenta gene dominantly (YY females, so, not XX females). These virgin females have been crossed to red mosaic dumbo males. Those dumbo males are tuxedo bodied but carry snake pattern recessively. So, all male offspring showed magenta on their back bodies and finnage with a metallic chest (comes from the blue ghost guppies) with a snake pattern on their chests. Female offspring were all grey bodied (as their mothers) but without the magenta saddle and black finnage. YY females have dominant traits but pass on those traits only to their sons. The female offspring do show mosaic -snake pattern in their finnage.
If one would like to create total snakeskin or cobra guppies, these females are perfect to use.
That is very helpful information, i did not know that some types of guppy grow faster than others.
what is the difference of YY and XX? I am not very good at genetics, and i am trying to have better knowledge about it :)
There's a method to let guppies grow up even faster from fry to phenotypical adulthood... But that needs high temperatures, twice a day water change and mainly live food. And the result is a 2 months old guppy that looks like an adult. There are many breeders that work like this. Me myself don't like that method. For such guppies will go through their life cycle very fast and they're generally weaker. One of my friends is doing the same thing. This is the way that he can guarantee that he can provide wholesalers in a continuous way.
That may be why my purchased guppies are generally weaker than ones I have raised from the start in my generally low-temperature tank.

That is very helpful information, i did not know that some types of guppy grow faster than others.
what is the difference of YY and XX? I am not very good at genetics, and i am trying to have better knowledge about it :)us
Usually, we know the sex chromosomes "X"(female sex chromosome) and "Y" (male sex chromosome). In general, we know that male specimens are of a XY genotype and females of a XX genotype. But Mother Nature can be very complex. She made it possible to make XX males and YY females possible (goes for many life forms). In guppies this is also possible. In guppies you've got X-linked and Y-linked traits that can be passed on to new offspring. If a female is a YY genotype, she carries the same dominant traits as the males of her own strain. But because she's lacking a X chromosome, she can only pass her dominant traits on to her male offspring. XX males are phenotypically males but are infertile for they're lacking the Y chromosome. So, eventhough they've got a gonopodium, they can not produce sperm. Or produce a very bad quality of sperm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back