Madascar Rainbows - How Many In A School, What Sexes?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

upNdown

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few madagascar rainbow fish on a whim, for my community tank.  Everybody's getting along well and they're cool fish.  So if I want to increase the school to make them happy, how many should I have? 5? 6? more?  Also, do the sexes matter?  I know with livebearers, it's often suggested to go 2:1 male to female - does the same hold true for these guys?

Schools are best at 10+ fish. Rainbows can normally be kept at a ratio of 1m 1f and some people keep 2m 1f (I would prefer the former for myself).

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't think I'd be comfortable adding 7 more to the tank - I feel like adding 2 or 3 more would be pushing the limits of the tank capacity.  In your opinion, would a school of 5 or 6 be better than 3? Or do you think that anything less than 10 is equally non-optimal?

This is a 4 foot, 50 gallon tank (1.2 meters, 190 liters.)
Current population:

1 Pearl Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 very small pleco (not sure what kind, but not common - he won't get big from what I'm told)
3 Swordtails
3 Madasgar rainbows
7 goldskirt tetras
10 neon tetras

So why did you get the rainbow fish in the first place? It would have been much wiser to up the numbers of neons and goldskirts.

Because the rainbow fish looked cool.  As it turns out, they are.

If you are limited in numbers you can have, I would keep just one sex. When I had a smaller tank I kept a group boesemani ranbow - 3 males and 1 female. They used to annoy the female so I swapped her for another male. The group of males got along fine and had no one to harass.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back