Madagascar ground gecko "Paroedura"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Hi TFF,

Purchased a Terrarium today to house a Pictus Gecko and ive been looking into care and equipment etc
Screenshot_20220502-222939_Facebook.jpg

Can anyone advise on the best way to heat the setup and the best substrate to use. Ive been on google and youtube and everyone seems to do things differently. (Heat mats, lamps etc)

Set up come with decor and a Arcadia basking dome so im persurming i would just need to by a thermostat to set the lamps heat on??

Substrates ive seen people use sand,earthy dirts, bark, sand paper, tiles, newspaper, kitchen roll?? Which is best?

New to reptile's so any tips or anything else i should purchase id love to know.

Thanks guys and girls

If I were doing that set up, I wouldnt do heat mats because of the stacked rocks and substrate it passes through. BUT they may heat them up just enough for nocturnal species. Take into account whether or not the reptile you are getting is nocturnal or diurnal. If it is a diurnal animal then a heat/UVB lamp would most likely be best. The nocturnal animals use the residual heat left from the sun in the day on rocks to warm themselves. This is where the heat mats are best used because it can heat rocks lightly to where nocturnal reptiles enjoy them... When checking surface tempatures it is best to get a thermostat gun which can be found for $30 all the way up to 100s of dollars on Amazon. I havent owned reptiles before BUT I almost did. The only thing that kept me from buying one was that I didnt want to house live bugs like crickets or roaches (not enough space)... I have done a TOOOOON of research on keeping nocturnal and diurnal species of reptiles alike. I'm sure somebody else with more experience can help you out wayyy more than I can. Just take what I said with a grain of salt. Others who HAVE owned them can chime in

The pictus geckos are nocturnal reptlies which are senstive to bright light so a heat pad might be better although alot of people use lamps so im not sure. I think you can buy ceramic heat blubs to get round bright lights but im still learning whats what
🙂
Need to do more research this week

The pictus geckos are nocturnal reptlies which are senstive to bright light so a heat pad might be better although alot of people use lamps so im not sure. I think you can buy ceramic heat blubs to get round bright lights but im still learning whats what
🙂
Need to do more research this week
Oh yah! I forgot about ceramic heat bulbs... Although I also forget how they work and what people have said about them...

The heat pads may work depending on how thick the surface is between it. You could have the rock stack and the top rock has a good surface temp of 80°F but the lower rocks and substrate are around 100°F and could burn the reptile... Thats why those thermostat guns come in handy for reading surface temperatures...

Fine grade coconut fiber. It is easy to spot clean, holds moisture to aid in humidity of environment and no issues with the geckos getting impacted from eating bits of it when foraging bugs. Avoid sands and soils as they can block the GI of your little guy if eaten.

In that setup, I would use a deep heat projector:

A good thermostat is an absolute must, preferably a dimming thermostat with a night drop feature, such as Herpstat.

Fine grade coconut fiber. It is easy to spot clean, holds moisture to aid in humidity of environment and no issues with the geckos getting impacted from eating bits of it when foraging bugs. Avoid sands and soils as they can block the GI of your little guy if eaten.
Thank you ill try that🙂 another thing to be ticked off.
In that setup, I would use a deep heat projector:

A good thermostat is an absolute must, preferably a dimming thermostat with a night drop feature, such as Herpstat.
Really appreciate that thank you, was struggling with which way to go heat wise and a recommendation on a good thermostat was my next question 🙂 ill look this up now.

Right🙂

Ive order a deep heat projector, a dimming thermostat, a little backup lcd Thermometer/Hygrometer.

Im looking into the substrate now. Ive seen people use isopods for a little clean up crew in some set ups (i gather this is like having MTS 🐌in your sand in aquariums) worth getting any?

Whats best to use in a damp hide?

Whats best to use in a damp hide?
Use damp substrate , peat moss, sphagnum moss, vermiculite, and fine coconut fiber all work really well for this. The hides can be made out of coconut shell halves turned upside down or a plastic container with a cut out. Make sure either way you have a few hides available and on each side of the tank (ie cool side and warm side).

Now I’m, by no means, an expert on geckos or even reptiles. But I remember reading somewhere that geckos absorb their heat from the floor rather from above them. Like from desert sand instead of the sun. As apposed to tortoise that absorb heat from their shell from the sun, so would need a heat lamp. I could be entirely wrong so please don’t just go off this but I believe this to be true lol

Now I’m, by no means, an expert on geckos or even reptiles. But I remember reading somewhere that geckos absorb their heat from the floor rather from above them. Like from desert sand instead of the sun. As apposed to tortoise that absorb heat from their shell from the sun, so would need a heat lamp. I could be entirely wrong so please don’t just go off this but I believe this to be true lol
You are correct. I am no heating expert but from what I have picked up from my brother and exotics vet, you'll need warm spots, and cool places so they can balance their temp. The air temp needs a way the stay warm as well, not sure if under heating would be enough to keep it balmy.

That is absolutely true

Ive read this too which is why i was in two minds but if i put the rock under the heat projector the gecko will get warmth from underneath that it needs and do a better job with keeping the air temp right compared to a heat mat.

20220507_183032.jpg
20220507_185841.jpg
20220507_183141.jpg

Gecko tanks up and running and im leaving it to run so i know everythings tickety boo.

First problems the humidity

Ive set the thermo at 28c for day time and 22c for night.

Ive read the pictus likes humidity around 50 -60% but our tanks showing way higher than that
20220507_192341.jpg

This meter is on the cool side of the tank and as you can see its saying the humidity is 99%😓(will add its only a cheap little thing off ebay so i dont know how accurate it is) surely cant be right??

View attachment 159171View attachment 159172View attachment 159173
Gecko tanks up and running and im leaving it to run so i know everythings tickety boo.

First problems the humidity

Ive set the thermo at 28c for day time and 22c for night.

Ive read the pictus likes humidity around 50 -60% but our tanks showing way higher than that
View attachment 159174
This meter is on the cool side of the tank and as you can see its saying the humidity is 99%😓(will add its only a cheap little thing off ebay so i dont know how accurate it is) surely cant be right??
It looks great!

I would question the aCcuracy of the meter. I would expect at nearly 100% humidity that tank would look foggy like the glass after a hot shower. I could be wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back