Madagascan Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
Does anyone keep or know much about Madagascan Cichlids?
I know they're rare in the hobby and in the wild due to deforestation, eutrophication and introducing non-native species. It is a part of the hobby which I would like to learn more about. One day I would like to have a go at breeding one of these endangered species even if it is the most common, Paratilapia polleni.

I have limited knoledge on the conditions needed for these Cichlids. Most of them, to my understanding, are aggressive species so would have to be kept in a species tank which I would normally supply. I believe that they can adapt to a variety of water conditions being widespread in Madagascar, occuring in mainly softwater areas as well as some hardwater habitats.

Any information on these fish would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

I've successfully kept a p. polleni, male, for over a year now. I found him in a LFS, alone in a tank, @ 1.5" and a bit bedraggled from previous tank mates. Somehow, he'd been slipped in with a batch of severums (?????) so I brought him home and set up shop.

They do not get along with "conspecifics"--their own species, or species looking like them. With a female, one must take great care as once the spawning is complete, he will try to kill her.
They are happy in medium to hard water; I presently have mine in "holding" in a 55g with lots of large fake plants, rockwork, etc, waiting 'til I set up my new 125g W. He is with a sev he's grown up with, both over 7" now. Some Malawi peacocks, a BGK (also grown up with), 4 emerald and one arched corydoras. He never bothers the corys but he likes to chase alot. Also a 6" rainbow shark and a pair of 2" blood parrots. I know it sounds like fish stew, but I had a 44g leak on me, changed 29g into planted, and am in process of getting this 125g set (last step is getting cinderblocks up underneath for support).

These fish are early morning/late evening insect eaters, darting to the surface to catch their prey. Therefore, they move quickly--thus the 6 foot long tank. Max size in the wild is 14"; don't know if he'll get that big, but I'm prepared now. The severum actually keeps him in line. polleni have quite large mouths, and will eat a fish that will fit in, much like the black ghost knives.

To find alot of people who keep p. polleni, go visit m-o-n-s-t-e-r-f-i-s-h-k-e-e-p-e-r-s.c-o-m. I've learned alot there--there are some folks there who are serious about their fishkeeping, along with research and observation. And some have had success breeding their polls. There is also a user group on Yahoo dealing with Malagascy fish--some travel, return to Europe and US with specimens to perpetuate.

I also like the sound of getting some, but this is what limits me: money, tank-size, age, endangered-ness( made that word up), and difficulty.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back