Macropodus spechti

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

myrtle

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone here has kept these? I'm finding conflicting info online regarding temperatures, with some saying no lower than 20C and others saying they need seasonal fluctuations and down to 12 for a winter hibernation period. I'm loathe to keep them in permanent breeding temperatures so happy to drop temps for a winter rest if needed!

You will read about the regular Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis) surviving in cold water down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit and even under ice. I see no reason to tempt that and that information is likely meant to reassure people who have them outside.
For your spechti I would treat them like a temperate water fish never letting them fall below 68 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s my personal opinion and the reason I say that is because they look like a delicate fish to me. Again , just my opinion as they may be tougher than they look but why chance it ?
The Black Paradise Fish is very pretty and breeds like Bettas do , the only difference being that the sexes don’t kill each other although I would remove the female after spawning just to be on the safe side. Males guarding nests and fry take their job seriously.

Thanks, they're currently at 21C so I'll leave them there, the room will be warmer in summer so 21 will be their winter low. I have several tanks with no fish where she can stay for a few days if they spawn, that's no issue, though one is currently a grow out for imbellis.

They're from central Vietnam, the Quảng Nam province and Thừa Thiên-Huế province. I looked at historical weather for major cities in those provinces and the lowest monthly average was 63F at night and the highest monthly average was 95F. I imagine 75F would be just about perfect for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back