Macropodus opercularis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Anyone know much about these? Thinking about putting them in a cold water tank with my peppered corydoras.

I did look into paradise fish a little.. but I'm just not a fan of Gouramis, they freak me out lol
I wouldnt say 'cold water' tank, the cories shouldn't be kept below 18c. 20c is good to aim for

I did look into paradise fish a little.. but I'm just not a fan of Gouramis, they freak me out lol
I wouldnt say 'cold water' tank, the cories shouldn't be kept below 18c. 20c is good to aim for
Ok great. Do they have any special needs that you know of?

Also how can you not like gourami. I'm keeping my eye on you :<

Ok great. Do they have any special needs that you know of?

Also how can you not like gourami. I'm keeping my eye on you :<
Theyre weird mate. Weird flat shape and those feeler things .. urgh, make me cringe

Theyre weird mate. Weird flat shape and those feeler things .. urgh, make me cringe
The feeler things are what make them COOOL! They're like betta but without the inbreeding, deformities and health issues lol

They don't like each other but are fine around other fish, kept them with goldfish no problem, tend to hang around caves and in the plants, should be fine with catfish

They don't like each other but are fine around other fish, kept them with goldfish no problem, tend to hang around caves and in the plants, should be fine with catfish
So just one? I'd also be stocking them with lemon tetras.

How warm can you allow them to get?

Room temperature in your house will be fine. They are pretty hardy, I had them in a Hire tank in a foyer of a hotel so the temperature went up and down a bit. You might like to check on a data sheet.

Macropodus opercularis is the Paradise Fish. Let's let the eminent Dr. William T. Innes enlighten us a bit. "If ancient lineage is the true basis for aristocracy, then the Paradise Fish is undoubtedly the Exalted Potentate of all tropical aquarium fishes". It was introduced into Paris in 1868 by Carbonnier. It came to the American hobby by Adolphus Busch of St. Louis in 1876. There are known instances of it living in temperature down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. They are common in the rice fields of China. It was first described by Linnaeus in 1758. It is an anabantid labyrinth fish but not a gourami. It breeds like a Betta. It is very hardy but can be a bit pugnacious. There are at least three varieties that I know of and are all exquisitely beautiful. In my mind, this is a fish that every aquarist should keep at one time or another.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back