Macrobrachium Rosenbergii In Uk?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kevin_D

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the species Macrobrachium rosenbergii, the Giant Freshwater Prawn, is being kept in the UK currently? are they available through the fish-trade? does anyone on here keep them?

Thanks

Click 'search' above ^ and type in 'Macrobrachium'.

Many threads worth of help there I hope!

Andy

im pretty sure they are readily available for import, if you wanted a quantity of them i could look into importind them for you

Does anyone know if the species Macrobrachium rosenbergii, the Giant Freshwater Prawn, is being kept in the UK currently? are they available through the fish-trade? does anyone on here keep them?

I've seen them quite regularly in Britain's Aquatic Superstore in Bolton. That's the other side of Manchester. I'm sure the other big shops, like Wildwoods, get them occassionally. Late last year I saw them in a small local shop who received them instead of the amano shrimp they ordered. Bit of a difference. :)

I had one, my beloved pickles, who died earlier this year. She can't have been older than 18 months so either they're short-lived or I screwed something up. She was huge when full-grown, something like 8" body with 10" claws. I fed her sinking pellets, frozen foods and live earthworms. She ate every tankmate I tried her with, including a smaller M. rosenbergii, an adult blue-clawed cray, adult tigerbarbs and various danios. She ate them all tail first which was kind of disgusting. The poor things were obviously alive for a few minutes while she ate them. :(

It was worth running a tank just for her though. She was beautiful. My Rekord 70 was quite small and if I had another I'd use a minimum of 36". Taller is better too as she liked to climb up high and 'go fishing'.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back