Lyretail Killifish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adam98150

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, a few weeks ago I purchased a pair of these wonderful fish, I was after two females but they only sold them in pairs .. so I made do and introduced them to my planted tank. It appears they have spawned, but the eggs are so small (and clear) they pretty much vanished as soon as they hit the sand.

I read online, it says the eggs are light sensitive .. and possibly need a dry period ? Will they be okay In the aquarium / lights on 8 hours a day ? Also, pretty sure the eggs would make a tasty treat for my half-banded eels .. hopefully some of them survive.

Thanks, Adam.

Wish I could help you, have never been lucky enough to have killifish (love em they are so pretty), but from my reading up on them some species can sucessfully spawn and keep generations going in a dedicated tank without having to remove eggs and dry them in moss for so many days in the dark. How ever because you have eels (which are usually predatory or scavengers) I am pretty sure they would eat any eggs they find.

Best option if you want to raise some fry is to get a spawning mop and have it in the tank and check it daily for eggs and remove any eggs you can find. Put the eggs you do collect in a small tub with water from the breeding tank for the eggs to hatch in. To try and ensure that the tub(s) of water don't get too hot or cold you can float them in the parents tank. Once the eggs hatch you can feed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp but ensure that the tub stays clean of debirs by doing small regular water changes on the tub.

Hi Adam,
The eggs of AUS are not light sensitive as such as I have hatched fry in tubs under normal aquarium lighting.
Loaches will almost certainly forage for anything they can find within the substrate so any resulting fry (bearing in mind that the eggs were viable in the first instance) may be minimal.
Make yourself a small floating acrylic mop and see if you get the odd egg or two (1) to assertain that your water conditions are within the boundaries (2) to see if the eggs are viable. Then take things from there and tweak parameters to suit their spawning envelope and to maximise your egg yield.
atb
C

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. At the minute I have a few piles of cotton in the tank for the female to lay in (have seen a few eggs on the cotton). I also have a make shift breeding trap (floating grape box) .. suppose I could always add the cotton to the breeding trap and leave the pair in their for a few hours ? Read up on the mop, next time I'm in town I'll be sure to pick one up. : )

I'll let you know how it goes.

you could also make some spawning mops by using yarn or wool, but insure it its alowed soak in boiling water so it sinks, not float :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back