Lunar's 'New' Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
So my presence on the forum has been a bit sporadic the last year or so. I've been around more lately and realised the other day after an exchange with @Ch4rlie that after my tank problems back in July 2019 I never continued that thread (https://www.fishforums.net/threads/tank-problems.453051/) or started a new one...

I thought it was worth starting one to give an idea of what I've been up to tank wise since my last tank related thread.

To start with, after that last post I decided that I didn't want to risk a disaster, but didn't want to rid my life of fish so, with the wife's agreement, started looking for a new tank. After a week or so looking around and trying to find the right tank I vsited a guy fairly local to me with a 5ft tank for sale. Nice Oak cabinet to keep the wife happy because she wanted a nice piece of furniture, but there were one or two scratches inside that might have buffed out with some polishing.

Ultimately though I decided against it as I think it would have been just a bit too big, plus it needed some work and he wanted around £450 for it which I felt would have got me a decent new tank. It came with a filter (Ehiem Professional) and light units (no lights) but I'd need to spend some cash hiring a van to get it over to me so decided against it in the end.

What I did end up deciding on was a brand new Seabray 48"x18"x24" with cabinet from Maidenhead Aquatics. Decent price plus I got it online from them and used the finance option so paid it off in installments. I was expecting it to arrive within 20-30 days but was contacted by the manufacturer and it was delivered within 10 days which was a welcome surprise although provided its own headaches!

I had two choices, one was to site it where the old one was and the other was to put it in a new location in the front room where a 2.5m bookshelf sat which would need reorganising, removing and dismantling. Both options needed a bit of work but I (well we if you include my wife!) decided that it would be easier to put it in a new location so both tanks were running at the same time so the contents could be swapped over more easier.

Ok so the day of the delivery came and the very helpful delivery men unpacked and sited the aquarium and cabinet for me.

Cabinet in first:
image one.jpg

Then the tank (sofa moved back in place)
:)

image two.jpg

Substrate wise, I wanted to add something that would help the plants so found some Tetra complete on Amazon that was reasonably priced.

image 3.jpg

Also had a bag of this to cap off the plant nutrients.

image 4.jpg

I used the blue background from my old tank and had some bogwood roots that I'd bought recently, intending to put them in my old tank before the leakage issue. I'd put the wood in before finishing the substrate to build it up around it.

image 5.jpg

I also got some sand which i wanted to try again. Used it in a tank a few years ago but not had any for a while so fancied a change.
aqua-range-aqua-substrate-pewter-sand.png

Welcome back!

That tank is going to look good! That driftwood piece of amazing. Definitely going to be following this thread. :clap:

Nice, think have to agree that getting a brand new tank at 4ft rather than the older 5ft being the better choice.

With older tanks, especially being scratched and if no idea how old the tank is and are the sealants on tank glass ok makes it all a slight gamble. New tanks give peace of mind and has normally a warranty or guarantee for 1 or 2 years.

It alway takes longer and more work working out where to put new tanks and moving furniture and setting things up ready than you would think, 1 - 2 hour job? Hah!

Am assuming Maidenhead Aquatics provided their standards LED light unit and external filter as well with the new tank?

Like the choices of substrate, though just want to clarify, you are putting in 3 different substrates in that new tank?

Tetra substrate and the JBL Manado presumably as planting soil and then the white sand substrate on top.

Never had 3 substrates in one tank before, hopefully that gives an advantage for plant growth and hopefully won’t prove messy.

The bogwood root is a nice focal point and the blue background will help show off the green plants and livestock colours.

I always prefer plain backgrounds in either dark blue or black, just depends one what you plan to do with plants, decor and livestock.

Looking forwards to the next instalment! Great stuff!!

Nice, think have to agree that getting a brand new tank at 4ft rather than the older 5ft being the better choice.

With oldwe tanks, especially being scratched and if no idea how old the tank is and is the sealants on tank glass ok makes it all a slight gamble. New tanks give peace of mind and has normally a warranty or guarantee for 1 or 2 years.

It alway takes longer and more work working out where to put new tanks and moving furniture and setting things up ready than you would think, 1 - 2 hour job? Hah!

Am assuming Maidenhead Aquatics provided their standards LED light unit and external filter as well with the new tank?

Like the choices of substrate, though just want to clarify, you are putting in 3 different substrates in that new tank?

Tetra substrate and the JBL Manado presumably as planting soil and then the white sand substrate on top.

Never had 3 substrates in one tank before, hopefully that gives an advantage for plant growth and hopefully won’t prove messy.

The bogwood root is a nice focal point and the blue background will help show off the green plants and livestock colours.

I always prefer plain backgrounds in either dark blue or black, just depends one what you plan to do with plants, decor and livestock.

Looking forwards to the next instalment! Great stuff!!
That was my thinking re a new tank. I've found tanks don't really hold their value long term, plus there's no warranty or guarantee with second hand tanks as you say.

I think you're right, spent more time moving the old stuff out the way than putting in the new tank!

Actually this tank came without lights or filter. (more on that shortly ;) ) They did have some stuff with everything you need but "we" didn't like those tanks.. I didn't mind so much as it let me get just what I wanted. They often put in filters that are 'just' about adequate when I want a bit more filtration so it gave me the opportunity to get exactly what I wanted.

More on the substrates shortly too!

The bogwood is something I've been trying to find for years so really pleased with it. Only wish I'd got more!

I'll post up the next chapter later today! :)

I had a 25-26 year old 55gallon tank that started springing leaks and I replaced it with a new one. After the last leak which caused a mess of 20 gallons or so I now sleep better at night knowing I have a new tank that should not leak all over the place. You have a good start. I will be interested in watching your progress. Good luck

I'd washed the Manado and then the sand but found it wasn't that easy to put where I wanted it so I put some water in the tank, added more sand and then filled up with more water. I also put a couple of rocks in.

I also added my heater to help bring the water up to temperature and the twin lights from my older tank. The wood was a little too buoyant so I tied it together with some string to help it stay down and added a rock at the front which also helped.

AC0D5CF0-5B1E-47C0-94E4-E063E1CEF312.jpeg

Been after one of these for a while but my old cabinet was too small to fit it. should give a nice turnover of water.

93E8358F-1003-4C41-A0C7-A21BDC9A8B22.jpeg

However, upon opening the box I discovered that the lid of the filter had a chip in it. I've reported this to place where I bought it from but made the decision to use it since it was only cosmetic damage and doesn't affect the running of the filter. It's still water tight.

1455B644-742D-4084-BFD2-FD01C2B77929.jpeg

Then a minor change. By vote, it was decided the brown substrate didn’t look quite right so topped with gravel to hide..

B13E0415-A760-42C6-8730-C97E77B69B85.jpeg

Liking the FX4, I’d like one of those too or one of the new 07 Fluval filters, just seems solidly built and cheaper than the Eheims.

A bit annoying about the chip but as long as just a very minor thing and not affecting anything else, well, not an issue really.

That root wood is starting to look real good now that you’ve added some substrate, rocks and a few plants.

Nice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back