Luna Pics

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yeah, I guess that's true... And there have been studies that show that households with dogs in the house have higher chances of cancer in the family.
I would be skeptical of any study that says that. Humans and dogs have been living together for thousands of years. It's highly unlikely dogs living in a house would cause cancer. If it did, then potentially billions of people around the world would be at risk, and there would be lots of reports about it.

I prefer the studies that have shown pet owners generally live longer and are healthier lives thanks to their pets needing care and attention :)

-------------------
Same. My mom says that dogs spread disease and she doesn't want one in the house. If we ever move to the country she said I could get one but it would have to stay outside.
Your parents are weird tho :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sadly, I'm with her about the house thing, they do indeed spread zoonitic diseases like salmonella or lime disease to people.(rarely though)
The only way you will catch salmonella from a dog is if you give the dog raw poultry that is contaminated with salmonella (highly possible if the meat came from a commercial abattoir). But if you feed raw poultry to any animal, you have bigger concerns than salmonella. Every commercial poultry abattoir around the world has drug resistant bacteria in (including drug resistant salmonella). This is what you should be concerned about, drug resistant bacteria on poultry products sold at every store around the world.

Never feed raw poultry to anything and make sure you clean up properly and safely after handling raw poultry.

The biggest risk of disease from dogs is an itchy bum from worms.

I would be skeptical of any study that says that. Humans and dogs have been living together for thousands of years. It's highly unlikely dogs living in a house would cause cancer. If it did, then potentially billions of people around the world would be at risk, and there would be lots of reports about it.

I prefer the studies that have shown pet owners generally live longer and are healthier lives thanks to their pets needing care and attention :)

-------------------

Your parents are weird tho :)

Your mum sounds like a fanatical Muslim, dogs are dirty, can't have them near us. Eww germs.
My parents aren't weird. They just do their best to be healthy is all :)

My parents aren't weird. They just do their best to be healthy is all :)
While I agree with being healthy... Sometimes people do go overboard with things. There's nothing wrong with being vegan or vegetarian but sometimes people add "too much" onto themselves.
There is more risk of getting a disease from a fish tank IMHO than from a dog

I don't know, dogs are pretty grim though...our first pup ate poop, he didn't care who it belonged to either! Deer, horse, sheep 🤷‍♀️ and he licked his butt like tomorrow would never come 😱 our Jack Russell loves rolling in bird poop so I dunno, they're pretty gross 🤢

I don't know, dogs are pretty grim though...our first pup ate poop, he didn't care who it belonged to either! Deer, horse, sheep 🤷‍♀️ and he licked his butt like tomorrow would never come 😱 our Jack Russell loves rolling in bird poop so I dunno, they're pretty gross 🤢
Pretty gross... We had two dogs that ate poo... Disgusting. 🤢

I would say that has something to do with the owner considering it involved multiple dogs :)

I would say that has something to do with the owner considering it involved multiple dogs :)
What are you trying to say BugBoy? 🧐🧐🧐

To be fair, the Dachshund had terrible tummy trouble, it was like a doggy IBS. Had to be so careful what he ate because he would get chronic diarrhea for weeks on end. He had to have special probiotics and food but while he was having diarrhea he'd be on rice and plain chicken, so not surprised he was seeking out yummy deer poos! He grew out of it from about 4 onwards thankfully.

And Margot the JRT just loves the smell of bird poo and likes to wear it 😑 I don't know who she thinks she's going to attract though 🤢

There's some good info there, it's not as unusual for dogs to eat poop as many would think...but suit yourself, lol
I know it's fairly normal but I just don't feel like reading up on it.
I did used to know why but I forget.

What are you trying to say BugBoy? 🧐🧐🧐

To be fair, the Dachshund had terrible tummy trouble, it was like a doggy IBS. Had to be so careful what he ate because he would get chronic diarrhea for weeks on end. He had to have special probiotics and food but while he was having diarrhea he'd be on rice and plain chicken, so not surprised he was seeking out yummy deer poos! He grew out of it from about 4 onwards thankfully.

And Margot the JRT just loves the smell of bird poo and likes to wear it 😑 I don't know who she thinks she's going to attract though 🤢
We had a dog we were fostering named Thor who used to eat dog poo and had horrible stomach issues.
We found out that he had a TON of hookworm from when he was in the shelter so we took care of that. It took a long time but he made a recovery

We had a dog we were fostering named Thor who used to eat dog poo and had horrible stomach issues.
We found out that he had a TON of hookworm from when he was in the shelter so we took care of that. It took a long time but he made a recovery
Thankfully it wasn't anything like that, he was properly wormed and flead 3 monthly. He was just really sensitive , poor thing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back