Lump On My Ram

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

purple_drazi

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got 5 blue rams about 3 wks ago and put them into quarantine. They were from a trusted dealer, not from one of the big chain stores, and I had them in quarantine for 10 days. Because they were from a guy I knew & trusted (his tanks are immaculate) and they didn't show any signs of disease after 10 days I put them into my 65g.

They've been in the 65g now for a week. I was just doing a water change (25% weekly) and noticed a lump above the eye on one of the rams. It's quite noticable, my daughter says it looks like a pimple. It's not red or anything, the colour is normal, it's just a lump. The fish is active and looks fine otherwise. I tried to catch him and put him back into the quarantine tank but I can't, he's too fast and there are too many places for him to hide.

Aside from getting him out of the tank what to do?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
pH 7.6

Have a read of this thread...it suggests seperating the fish but if you can't you could always try finding a suitable med
Cysts on fish
Maybe uploading a pic might help people identify whether its a cyst/tumour/infection etc.
Good Luck with him :) Hope this helped

If the pimple has nothing atttached to it like a stringy thing, treat it as bacterial.
Good luck.

I found another bump on another ram.
:(
(and bleh :sick: )

I couldn't stand the idea of those things popping and putting godknowswhat into the water so I pulled all of the decorations out of the tank so that I could get at the rams (man those little guys are fast) and netted them all out. Luckily I hadn't broken down the quarantine tank yet so it was still running and ready. I put the rams in there and I'll be adding some meds as soon as I figure out what the best thing is to add.

Rams are definately fast fish :fish:. Keep checking the levels in both tanks to make sure your other ram's don't get ill.
To find mediciene go to your LFS and ask for advice on what they say is the most effective treatment as they may stock different products to up here. Good Luck with them :good:

Can you describe the other lump.

The first lump I noticed was over one ram's eye. It's about 1/2 the size of his eye, sticks out about as far as his eye does and looks like it's whitish inside.
The other lump on the second ram isn't as big as the the lump on the first fish. Other than that (and being in a different place) it looks about the same - sticks out, white underneith.

There are no other symptoms, no things "hanging" from the lump (ugh!), the fish are swimming normally with normal colour and behaviour, no clamped fins, no erratic behaviour.

I've added Maracyn & Maracyn-Two to the tank.

Maracyn one and two, or maracyn plus, if its available in canada.
Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back