Lump On Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

louise.storey

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a dwarf neon rainbowfish which suddenly developed a whitish pink lump on its side, it is raised and i initially thought it was injured and treated for possible fungal infection. A week later it is no better and tonight looks like the lump has burst with all white strands hanging from it. The fish appears well in itself eating swimming and brightly coloured. I have spent hours trying to look up what this could be but am getting no where. I have another 5 rainbows which currently are fine along with all other tankmates.  Please could anyone shed some light on this for me so i can work out how to proceed.

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Sorry something like this has brought you here.

Hopefully someone with more experience in fish ailments comes along soon. In the meantime can you answer some questions?

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

Can you get a picture? You can post one by going to 'More Reply Options' and attaching file at the bottom. If this doesn't work you can upload it to a photo sharing website such as photobucket and put the link here.

Thank you for replying, information as follows :

Ammonia 0
Nitrate Between 0 and 5 (only have dip strip so not very precise on this test)
nitrite less than 0.3
ph 7.5
GH 125
KH100

Temperature 25- 26

I do a 20% water change every 7-10 days using only tapsafe

tank is approx 100 litre with 6 dwarf neon rainbows, 7 neon tetras and one small angel fish
newest fish are the rainbows who have been with me for about 6 weeks. problem only started about a week ago that i noticed and i do keep a close eye on them.

im trying to get a picture but not very successfully will keep trying.  Its basically a pea sized lump on the side that is slightly raised and white and a bit fluffy, then it went pinkish and slightly sore looking. last night looked like it burst or something and this morning is scraggy and white again. Fish looks otherwise healthy, eating normally.  Not sure what to do as dont want to end its life unless need to yet is it contagious ??? HELP !

Did the lump just suddenly appear?
Just make sure the look dosn't resemble a cauliflower or cluster of eggs.
It sounds bacterial with the white, and pink colours to the lump.
It best to isolate fish as if they burst then can infect the tank.
Is the lump just on top of the skin and not also below the skin.
You could add anti internal bacteria medication by interpet at double dose.

thank you,  the lump did appear quite suddenly, its quite cotton woolly looking almost bubbly, but so hard to tell when fish wont keep still! Cant decide if its cauliflower looking or not, is this really bad? Cant make out if its under the skin or not, tried to put picture on here but it wont let me! I also have no other free tank at the moment to isolate him.  I have a spare tank but no heater or pump, any ideas?

Finally i have managed to post a photo on here its not the clearest but gives some idea

Sorry for the late response been away.

Bless Him.
Anti internal bacteria medication by interpet at double dose.

thanks for advice, he is currently doing well in an isolation tank and i have completed a 3 day course with esher 2000, so far the lump is very slightly flatter and now has a very red streak in it, not sure if he is healing or not. I did purchse some King British bacteria control medicine at the same time, is this the same as the interpet one? the lfs said it was, but i dont want to overdo the meds as hes otherwise healthy, if not a bit lonely. hes a lovely fish and im determined to cure him!

Never used the King British Bacterial Control medication. Does it have Methylene Blue in the ingredients?

Thanks for the update.

no it doesnt have methylene blue in it, contains formaldehyde,sodium chloride,magnesium sulphate and allantoin.  Not sure what to do next !

OK.
The trouble with UK bacterial medications they will only be affective on mild bacteria infections.
I wouldn't mix them if they have the same ingredients as you will over dose.

I have hard that you can double dose the esha medication. 

Most reactions

Back