Ludwigia repens is going brown

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nicola Main

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this so thought here was as good as anywhere. My plants, especially my Ludwigia repens has decided to go brown and holey is there anything I can do to help it? Water wisteria is growing fine I did trim the Ludwigia a couple of weeks ago and replanted the tops upon advice of someone on Facebook and since then have gone downhill. I dose 5ml of Seachem Flourish every week.

Are the stems still hard or are they soft and mushy?
If the stems are soft and squishy, the plants are dead and rotting away.

When you take cuttings you need a clean sharp pr of scissors to cut through the stem. Then you need to dig a hole in the substrate and carefully plant the cuttings in the hole. If you damage the base of the stem where it was cut, the cutting will usually rot and die.

If the stems are still firm but the leaves are dropping off, give it a couple of weeks and see if it recovers. If you are adding an iron based liquid plant fertiliser, it can sometimes help. Most other plant foods don't help and aren't really necessary.

This looks like an issue of light/nutrient balance. With no data on the lighting or plant additives (if any), it is not going to be possible to sort out what it is. You did say it was growing well previously...can you explain? How long? If this is the case, it would seem something has suddenly altered in your water.

I am not saying these are the issue, but merely illustrate what can occur. I have had this occur from adding iron. I have seen it when the water authority suddenly changed water additives to raise pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back