Low maintenance planted tank?

:) Just one point Feargal don't use an undergravel filter in either flow unless driven slowly by air it disturbs the root systems of live plants.  ;)  Mac.

Thx Mac. :D

That's basically what I was thinking myself.

I prefer to have this form of filtration though. This way I get good mechanical filtration with the external and good biological with the UGF. Also with the UGF being reversed it helps to keep the detritus from sinking in to the gravel and decreases the chances of dead spots developing in the gravel.

Maybe someone can advise another option that is as good.

A word on filters. If one is using an external, and worried about the return current strength, split it. A little hose. and a tee junction from the hardware is all you need. Then you can run a return at each end of the tank and put your pickup tube in the middle. :D

Thx for that GL! :)

Good idea. I am still undecided what I am doing yet but if I do end up using the 'external feeding RUGF' scenario then I think I will do that. Cheers m8. :D

You should try reading diane walsteads book Ecology of the planted aquarium. It offers great low tech low priced alternatives for planted tanks.
Marcus

Rose said:
As far as plants go I will give you a list later, gotta run out the door.  I'll try and have it up later tonight if not then it may be a couple of days.
Any chance of that list Rose?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what filtration to use too. :)

Ack I knew there was something I was suppose to do and didn't. LOL. Thanks for the reminder. Rose

I started a new thread for it. the first post is the plants the second the filter. Good luck and if you need more help or clarification let me know. Rose

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back