Low-Maintenance Coldwater Planted Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have made the decision that I want to turn my 75 gallon into a coldwater tank for goldfish. Don't ask me why but it's mainly because I need to restock and just don't want to spend the money right now. I can easily move the current inhabitants to my 29 gallon which is also understocked. In any case, I want to keep it planted and have a good start with plenty of stem plants like Java Fern, Val Grass, Amazon Sword and Anubius Nana.

The question is, what substrate would give me the best results with very little maintenance? I have plenty of lighting with 4x65 watts of power compacts (too much maybe). I know I will need to do gravel vacs as normal because the goldies are pooping machines. The main thing is I want something that will provide the plants with all the nutrients they need without having to add ferts of any kind.

As for stocking, I only plan to have 5 -7 in the tank. I will pull them from my small back yard pond (about 150 gallon) and they will be about 3-5 inches from the start.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi rdd!

I would cut your lighting by half if you really want low-maintenance, or even to just one 65W bulb. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it works great. Trust me, you'll grow all the plants you mentioned with that amount of light. Then you won't have to deal with CO2 if you don't wish.

I say, let the goldies poop. The plants will use it quite well. Plant densly. Goldies are diggers and sifters, I think you should cater the substrate to the goldfish and only consider dosing trace or a general liquid fertiliser. I doubt you will need macros. :lol:

Java fern, vallis, swords and anubias are not stemplants, just so that you know. Java fern and anubias are rhizome plants, while vallis and swords are rosette plants. All of these plants should be fine in a home environment without heat. I kept amazons outside where the water temperature got down to the low 60s, same with anubia and java fern. Temperature at my house now, no heat or air, is about 72. I also grow crypts. All of the above varieties are tough for goldfish, IMO.

Egeria densa is an actual stemplant to consider as it does well in lower temps. Under lower light and lower temp, it gets massive and a very lovely dark green. The flowers are delicate and white with yellow centers.

Thanks llj.

What about substrate? I currently have EcoComplete in it but it's been in there for right at 5 years so I'm sure any nutrients in it are long since depleted. With the goldies, I was thinking something a little finer so there would be less spaces for the poop to get down into the substrate. Is plain sand OK or do I need something with some nutrients in it? I know I've read of some substrates using dirt from the garden and other such things.

Thanks llj.

What about substrate? I currently have EcoComplete in it but it's been in there for right at 5 years so I'm sure any nutrients in it are long since depleted. With the goldies, I was thinking something a little finer so there would be less spaces for the poop to get down into the substrate. Is plain sand OK or do I need something with some nutrients in it? I know I've read of some substrates using dirt from the garden and other such things.

Again, with the nitrate load expected from the goldfish, your substrate, for me, becomes a matter of catering to their needs rather than the plants. Plants will take root in anything from fine sand to soil to gravel. Plain sand is fine, IMO, if it is alright for the goldfish. The great thing about sand is that the giant globs of poop will sit on the surface. :lol:

I've seen goldfish in action (kept some myself way back, their poop was thicker than any of the fish I currently keep), I would not recommend a layered substrate or any of the soils. It'll become messy. Who wants a substrate that is so cloudy that you cannot see anything because it is being disturbed?

Thanks again. Look is like I'll probably just go with something cheap like play sand. I've got about 80lb of that already. Biggest down sides to that though is that it is a pain to clean and light in color so it will show the poop more. I've got some Tahitian Moon Sand )which hides the poop since it blends in well) but not nearly enough and hate to spend $60 or so just on sand. A plus for the TMS though is that if it's disturbed, it settles almost immediately without any clouding.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to ask: On reducing the lighting, I still have the original fluorescent tube lights that came with the setup. Would I be just as well off to switch back to those?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back