Low, long tank filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello
I found and old "tank" that I will have to clean and test, but I was wondering, if it is even worth the setup. The tank is 100 cm long, 30 cm wide and only 20 cm high.

Sure, in theory it gives 60litres, but in practice you are looking at 40litres, still not that bad. If I even considered it, it would house my tylomelania snails, and perhaps some sulawesi shrimp, that have same water requirements. The question is the filter.

Since Sulawesi requires temp of 28 degrees, I assume filtration is a must. With 15 cm height though, internal filters do not seem like a good option. Neither it feels is the HOB filter an option, because the height is still the same there.
I was thinking perhaps an external filter might work, but the length of the tank will make a challenge for any sort of circulation. Does anyone have any experience with a filter like that, that would work well enough for biological filtration, circulation but overall not provide a strong current?

Thanks

I have a tank that is almost the same size--91cm long by 25cm wide by 20 cm high. It doesn't have a filter. If you plant densely, you can just use a small, 3 watt water pump with a long outlet tube to circulate the water, and the plants will keep it clean. Read up on the Walstad method or ask if you'd like me to tell you more about how I did it. If that doesn't work for you, just get two small sponge filters, and put one in each back corner.

An external filter could work fine. However for the stock you want you would want to cover the inlet and reduce the flow rate. Probably major overkill as well.

An undergravel filter would work great here as well and can be put together for next to no cost.

Personally though for an invert only tank I would do exactly as @WhistlingBadger suggested and go for a planted tank with no filter. The plants will more than take care of whatever waste they produce and provide additional food sources.

Thanks for the advice guys, however Sulawesi tank is by definition PH of 8 and higher, and ideally soft water and at least 28 degrees. These are not good variables for "planted" tank of basically any sort, you will be lucky if any plants manage to survive it, but they wont prosper, they will most likely wilt and decrease the water quality.
I have never seen undergravel filter, but tylomelania are quite the diggers, so I dont think that is an option.
I think I will have to go either with external one with an option to reduce the flow, or two air filters on opposite ends, which will be an interesting setup and a cable nightmare. Or perhaps a skimmer and an airfilter. Will keep checking, I still have to do a leak test of the tank anyway.

Aquael Asap internal filters can operate in 5cm depth of water, the smallest if which is 15cm long so would fit and rated for 100l. I have no personal experience of them, although I've found other Aquael equipment (such as their external filters) reliable.

Fluval U series filters can be mounted horizontally for shallow tanks.

Thanks for the advice guys, however Sulawesi tank is by definition PH of 8 and higher, and ideally soft water and at least 28 degrees. These are not good variables for "planted" tank of basically any sort, you will be lucky if any plants manage to survive it, but they wont prosper, they will most likely wilt and decrease the water quality.
I have never seen undergravel filter, but tylomelania are quite the diggers, so I dont think that is an option.
I think I will have to go either with external one with an option to reduce the flow, or two air filters on opposite ends, which will be an interesting setup and a cable nightmare. Or perhaps a skimmer and an airfilter. Will keep checking, I still have to do a leak test of the tank anyway.
My water is very soft with pH of 7.5-8, and I have many, many plants that thrive.

My water is very soft with pH of 7.5-8, and I have many, many plants that thrive.
I admire your wet green thumb in that case, I have way better ph in some other tanks and I have always struggled with plants :)

Mostly the issue will be temp, a lot of plants except anubias and some dont handle 28 degrees well. Or they do "handle" it, just dont prosper.
Also tylomelania snails are like a bulldozer so only floating plants or tied to something plants stand a chance in my experience so far.

But that is all in the realm of theory at this moment.
For now I like the hang on back filter, the Aquael mentioned here has good reviews overall, or I read about a SunSun external filter, mixed reviews, have to up the cleaning I guess for satisfactory performance, but same can be said about the Aquael.

I liked the idea of undergravel filter because in my mind it would offer the best temperature mixing capability, which is what I struggle with in my other tanks, but in my fishkeeping community, they have been dissed for decades, with only very few people that have had them and operated them somehow successfully. Apparently something about inability to clean it properly and plant root systems not liking the constant waterflow put them out of favor. Not many brands available here therefore.
Plus the snails like fine sand and that is not a good combo with UGF if I understood correctly. Also no to the snail burrowing, so there is that

Case in point is my egeria densa in my betta tank, I keep looking at it, it is not prospering as is in my other tanks, well why am I wondering, the betta tank has 29 degrees. Poor plant is just dissolving.
Anubias, Java fern and for now some mexican Ludwigia are doing ok I guess, but the ludwigia is not a plant for fine sand substrate, is having a horrible time taking root and there are no snails there to uproot it all the time either.
Java fern is also said to be consumed by tylomelania a lot, so not sure if I want to risk that, will give it a go, but not holding my breath. I see what they are doing to my lotus and vallisneria plants, and I do feed them daily. Might have good luck with bucephalanda, although they grow so slow and noone is selling them at this moment here, not sure why.

Interesting! Yes, the temp might be an issue for some plants. I bet with some research you could find some that might work, if you decide that's the way you want to go. I've thought about trying tylomelania in my Sumatra tank, but if they dig up plants I'll probably pass. They must be tough critters if they can eat Java fern. I didn't think anything could eat Java fern...

Interesting! Yes, the temp might be an issue for some plants. I bet with some research you could find some that might work, if you decide that's the way you want to go. I've thought about trying tylomelania in my Sumatra tank, but if they dig up plants I'll probably pass. They must be tough critters if they can eat Java fern. I didn't think anything could eat Java fern...
They don't 'dig' out as much as they are super heavy and not bothered by stuff in their way, which results in plants being uprooted, if they are not fully in. And if not fed, yes, they will try to climb leaves and plants and given how heavy they are, they will bend and snap and these. My echinodoras is doing ok with 5 of these snails in 360l though so not as bad, but my tank is not super planted and i feed a lot.

Don't worry about the high pH, soft water and even 28degC.
Most hardy plants can grow in this environment.
My Anacharis Elodea and Java Moss are growing so well in my Sulawesi shrimps tank. Java moss is almost indestructible.
You can also try Hornworts.

As someone had suggested, you can have two sponges filters or internal filters.

Some GEX internal filters are also suitable as they can be used for turtles or crabs tank that require low level of water with mix of land.(half water and half land).

You can also consider small canister filter(external filter) like Shiruba XB-303.

Sulawesi shrimps are more sensitive than the Neocaridina shrimps.

Are you using distilled water or reverse osmosis water?
I'm using distilled water and mix with Dennerle Sulawesi shrimps salt to get the right pH and GH.

Take note that Sulawesi shrimps eat mainly algae and they don't really eat shrimp pellets.
So, make sure your tank has a lot of algae before your introduce them into your tank.
I prepared 1 month in advance with a powerful light for my tank to have thick algae before I introduce them into my tank.
You can search internets/youtube on how most people prepare their tanks for Sulawesi shrimps.
Start with the Sulawesi White socks which are more hardy than the rest.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! The shrimp are optional for me right now, they are not easy to obtain here either. I just need to move my tylomelania from my 6,2 PH tank soonish, if it will work, will be nice to have shrimp. I do not have distilled or RO water, my ph from tap is 7,5, I can always add special salts or so and check the KH/GH with tests I need to renew though, mine expired some time ago (as in years). The snails wont care at first, need to do a gradual water change for them anyway, and if I get the shrimp, I can do so later when I have the water parameters in hand.

I have been growing algae on several stones on my windowsill in a jar for months now, have a jar full of algae at this point, not sure if I should change the water or so :) I used orchid fertilizer, but yeah, have been growing potencial shrimp/tylo food like this in advanced
Am also trying to grow java moss, but the light is not ideal anymore on the windowsill, still have a too small bundle.

I do however have big luck "growing" algae in my other tank, so can always add bit of that I assume. Do they eat the long one as well?
I am also growing some cladophora from a piece that fell off the ball, that could work also, right?

It will be better to have a light for your tank to grow algae if you are keeping Sulawesi shrimps as algae is their main or only food.
They will eat most types of algae.

But if not, you can also grow algae on rocks, stones, driftwoods or even tank by putting them directly under the sun.
Put the rocks, driftwoods in a transparent plastic container with water and place them under the sun for the algae to grow.

My Sulawesi shrimps can't survive if I used tap water as I suspect there are too much chemical in our water.
So, I have to buy bottled distilled water from the supermarket every week. I buy those cheap distilled water or those on discounts.

But since the Sulawesi shrimps can't take big water change, I only change about 6-10 liters of water for my 30liters tank once a week.
So, it's still affordable for me to buy distilled water every week since I buy only like 6 liters every week.

By the way, the Tylomelania snails actually also originated from Sulawesi(Indonesian island).
I keep the snails and the Sulawesi shrimps together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back