Lost Patience With This Fish Less Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Easy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been fish less cycling my 20g tank for about 5 weeks or so. Nitrites started falling to zero after a 24 hr period 3 weeks ago......but WILL NOT go in 12......... How much longer?

You are nearly there, my fishless cycle took NINE WEEKS, & then overnight, boom, lovely double zero's.

Tom

My tank took 2 weeks, my local aquatic center gave me some filter medium,ok, let the tank run and clear for one week, put filter medium in the filter,put 4 small fish in the tank to keep the bacteria fed from their poop, left another week, did a test on Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all ok,bought more fish, job done........ :good:

These things sometimes happen with fishless cycles. Try doing a 100% water change. That may help. Be careful to match the water temperature so far as is possible though, your filter bacteria don't want a set back at this stage.

You could also try testing your pH. If it is low, that can affect the growth of the bacteria.

As Brian says though, if you could get some mature media at this stage, that would sort it right out, almost certainly. Worth investigating.......

Let us know how you get on.

BTT

Update: so my original 20g is still giving the same readings...so frustrating. However my 10 g tank which I started just a few weeks ago with a little old tank water from my 20g and it is reading double 0's but the 20 g is still taking 18-24 hrs..... Now the 20 g is planted and has a few snails that came with them. Is it possible the plants and the snails are affecting my reading? Wouldn't the snails give off ammonia? As well one of my large plants sheds leaves like crazy so there must be a fair amount of ammonia being created by this as week. I do clear out dead leaves and debri once a week but still..... I'm getting ready to just dump some fish in and see what happens.. Obviously a near 100% water change first...... What do you guys thinks?

Oh I'm gonna get so bashed but I back real world results.

I have never ever in 3 years even my first tank looked for 12 hr full clears dosing anything over 2ppm.
I look for 1ppm unless I am fully stocking an African then 2ppm.
I never would I ever even consider 5ppm,this number is a whale.
Total overkill!!!
If doing 2ppm I look for a full clear of Amonnia in 12 normally quicker and Nitrites in 24hrs. Normally close to but under that..
the dosing is high and sudden compared to a normal bio and releases of waste anyway.

Never had a problem and have done full Mbuna overstocks this way,yes an over stocked at 2ppm

12 hr?? just like the 5ppm is a wife's tale and overkill..

Bash away!!
if in a true 24hr you are clean.. your ready!!!
As close to a 100% water change b4 your introduction as you can.Maybe 2x , Lower the residual readings of Nitrate..
Properly acclimate the new inmates.

Keep an eye on it at stocking and further but I expect no problems.
Test for a week and react with a fish in if its bad. It wont be.

Edit: I love the people here, I learned form them mostly. I just don't see this as a viable rule.It's a perpetuated excess,at least for the studied noob, should be waived.

I expect a certain amount of problems,
Diatoms, cloudy water, an unexplained death (more so from small fish) ect. but a tested failure NO!!
Rock on fish keeper. :good: :good:
And kudos for going fishless... you made the right researched choice!!! :band: :book:

I have been fish less cycling my 20g tank for about 5 weeks or so. Nitrites started falling to zero after a 24 hr period 3 weeks ago......but WILL NOT go in 12......... How much longer?
What are you dosing ammonia to and how often? Also what is your PH?

What are you dosing ammonia to and how often? Also what is your PH?
It's hard to tell because my API master test kit it's hard to tell the difference between readings. It's some where between 2-4 I dose 70 drops every 24 hrs into my 20g and 35 into my 10 g. Ph has dropped several times on each tank and I bring it back with bicarbonate soda.

I understand your total frustration as I'm feeling it, too. I'm at 10 weeks and still seeing slow drops of ammonia. I did read something here a couple weeks ago about checking for low ph. Sure enough, mine had dropped to 6. A 90% wc brought it back up to 7.6 and I dosed back to 2ppm ammonia. It's starting to fall again but I feel like I've started all over. Ready to quit!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back