Lost In Translation

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, do I think people should be able to have the choice of owning a weapon? Yes, I do. But see, after too many attacks on that freedom action must be taken. I see it like this. My parents let me and my brother play video games and they give us the freedom to choose. Recently though my little brother started to play really bad video games and my parents warned him they would take the certain site away (the site I use as well) if he continued... Well three warnings later and he didn't stop so my parents took away that video game platform away even from me. While it doesnt seem fair for me who has done nothing wrong it has benefited us and him. Now were not talking about taking something away, were talking about just bumping an age limit up and adding more qualifications. You still have the freedom. If you can't drink till your 21, you definitely shouldn't have a gun at 18

On what do you base those claims?
Because, if our country's main belief is founded on freedom there would be more that are for freedoms than against them, and if someone even tried to make us into a non free country there would be a lot of people going against that small minority group 😅

My 17 year old granddaughter was killed by a drunk driver. That driver will be in prison for at least part of the next 28 years, 14 years per girl that died. I am not a big fan of alcohol and I am definitely not a fan of drunk driving. And Laws that regulate drinking and driving should be enforced. The bar that served him got sued and I think they shut down because he walked in drunk, they served him, he got in his SUV and decided to run the stop sign at 175 and there was a semi coming. My granddaughter should have called her mother for a ride. but she didn't, and she was in the back seat. She died at the scene. The front seat made it past the semi, but the back did not. He went to prison, but nothing will bring my granddaughter back. Not one thing. Do I think we need prohibition - I don't think it worked. I don't want to get thrown off the forum, I'll let you draw your own comparisons.

My 17 year old granddaughter was killed by a drunk driver. That driver will be in prison for at least part of the next 28 years, 14 years per girl that died. I am not a big fan of alcohol and I am definitely not a fan of drunk driving. And Laws that regulate drinking and driving should be enforced. The bar that served him got sued and I think they shut down because he walked in drunk, they served him, he got in his SUV and decided to run the stop sign at 175 and there was a semi coming. My granddaughter should have called her mother for a ride. but she didn't, and she was in the back seat. She died at the scene. The front seat made it past the semi, but the back did not. He went to prison, but nothing will bring my granddaughter back. Not one thing. Do I think we need prohibition - I don't think it worked. I don't want to get thrown off the forum, I'll let you draw your own comparisons.
Man I'm so sorry that happened... I wish I had other things to say but I think the only thing right now is to say sorry for your loss and agree with you on what you've said

Reading through these posts, one thing stands out

Historical manipulation and the changes in the meaning and interpretation - and yes that in many cases it is being done to suit the current perceived narrative by ill informed persons or groups within communities with a distinct aim to cause upset and offense where in truth there is none to be had - is definitely increasing.

Speaking as a woman who has previous experience of domestic violence.....much of this "bandwagon narrative to find offense in everything" stems from movements such as #MeToo

The original idea was sound.

But very quickly that original idea was taken out of context, lost control and essentially turned into a full blown witch hunt to such an extent that the original idea was completely lost.

The narrative turns into the bandwagon that turns fashionable to join...even if the individuals really have no clue what they are protesting about or who they are supporting. Then things go too far.

The problem then becomes one of not a supportive role but an alienating role that then stokes the flames and rather than decrease the misunderstandings and acceptance, it does the exact opposite it riles people against the very section of the community that the narrative was set up to learn from, protect and understand.

And that is a very sad state of affairs.

The way our basic spoken and written language has been contaminated so severely that you feel like you are walking on egg shells...careful what you say...think before saying anything incase so'n'so is offended

Generationally it becomes difficult to navigate.

My generation born in the 1960's when pretty much anything went and it was virtually impossible to offend anyone by the spoken or written word...but at the same time you knew what to avoid and why, and you naturally did it cos you had an almost set mental list of things that you shouldn't say

Youngsters nowadays have got such a wide and constantly changing vocabulary that one day offends and the next is a friendly greeting depending on where you live - country to country, sometimes street to street one innocent word or gesture can be misconstrued so widely that you question yourself before opening your mouth or typing an email for fear of stepping on someone's toes.

The freedom to express your thoughts through the spoken or written word has become a contradiction.

We are now at the stage where there is no freedom to express ourselves...we can't, we are not allowed to.

For example...a well known and used phrase that has been used for generations around the world - "I won't be long, I just have to nip down to the shops"

You can't use that anymore. It offends.

We all have a responsibility to not purposely offend or insult.....but when you have so much of our vocabulary and so many of our every day items is being misunderstood, misused and maligned it is becoming impossible not to offend someone, somewhere, somehow.

When do people realise that it is becoming ridiculous and ask themselves "Hang on a minute....this is crazy...when is it going to stop?"

The freedom to express thought, speech and to chose what you have in your home, business, school etc has been whittled away by the narrative of those who choose to be easily offended.

First Amendment and other such worldwide freedoms mean nothing if you have to be constantly on your guard when voicing your opinion or thought, or communicating in writing or when you go shopping to choose what you wear, eat, drink and how you furnish your home.....cos you will always offend someone and be "cancelled" for it.

Take for example, drugs. They are illegal in many parts of the world, yet the people that want them, somehow still get their hands on them regardless of the consequences. If you were to add additional restrictions to gun ownership, the bad guys would still get them, but the law-abiding people would have a much more difficult time. And there are many tests you must pass to get a gun license.
My opinion on guns is similar, guns are illegal in the Uk , people still get shot only difference is our police don’t have guns so there isn’t a chance of dying every time you break the law .
Example .criminals uses guns because police use guns , you don’t go to a knife fight with a spoon . If police stopped using guns the average criminal wouldn’t feel the need to carry a gun mean less people die .. but America has gone to far now to ask the police to put down there guns is asking them to die

My opinion on guns is similar, guns are illegal in the Uk , people still get shot only difference is our police don’t have guns so there isn’t a chance of dying every time you break the law .
Example .criminals uses guns because police use guns , you don’t go to a knife fight with a spoon . If police stopped using guns the average criminal wouldn’t feel the need to carry a gun mean less people die .. but America has gone to far now to ask the police to put down there guns is asking them to die
As Americans, it’s our constitutional right to bear arms. Taking that away would be like removing the first amendment; freedom of speech.

When you start taking away things our forefathers set in stone, this great country stops being America.

The media have been going slightly nuts over this year's Glastonbury Festival that ended last night.

"To political!!!" screaming headlines all over the place

Granted the Roe vs Wade decision along with immigration and various other "bandwagons" were out on display...verbally and figuratively.

How short a memory some people have.....or maybe today's bandwagonners were not actually born back when Glastonbury started its annual music festivals.

Back in the 1980's Glastonbury was strongly affiliated with several organisations....the main two were the Campaign For Nuclear Disarmament (CND) and the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp that essentially consisted of a large group of very verbal women and their children who camped outside the main gates of the then Greenham Common RAF/USAF airbase in Berkshire that, along with many other joint forces airbases across the UK now defunct, stored nuclear weapons for use against the former Soviet Union and its Allies.

This highlights yet another problem with history, words, phrases and life in general being manipulated, altered or plain forgotten.

I love the use of the word "Snowflake".... apart from the fact that actual snowflakes melt at the slightest touch (so are quite an well described and very apt for the easily offended), I am amazed that someone has not been offended by the nickname by virtue of a snowflake's colour not being diverse enough.

Those who stand up and protest should read their history books...and not just the cherrypicked nice bits but ALL of it before they start screaming "I am offended" when someone speaks out against what they want to hear.

A question for my American friends, in the vein of what @wasmewasntit has been saying. Until just over 150 years ago, until 1865, if you had the cash you could go to a slave market and buy a woman, a man or a child away from his/her parents. You could keep them in servitude, and sell them if you pleased. This system was supported by most of the founding fathers (good on slave owner Ben Franklin for changing and proposing an end to slavery. He failed, of course).
One of the triggers of the Civil War was the expansion of slavery into the newly subjugated lands of the west. There was a great controversy over whether slavery would expand, just 157 years ago. That isn't ancient history.
My country, Canada, joined its British masters in supporting the Confederate slave society, by the way, even allowing Confederate cavalry to launch attacks from my hometown into northern Vermont. The much weaker US with cheap cotton a southern victory would have produced was very attractive to foreign powers at the time. So it's not from a position of righteousness I'm asking - we were conquering independent first nations and grabbing land too.
So prior to 1865, was the US a free country in your analysis?

Now were not talking about taking something away, were talking about just bumping an age limit up and adding more qualifications. You still have the freedom. If you can't drink till your 21, you definitely shouldn't have a gun at 18
Or vote

Voting isn't the same as drinking or having a gun though... I don't see why someone can't vote at the age of 18...
If you are not mature enough to drink or use a firearm responsibly, how are you mature enough to vote?
IIRC voting was reduced to 18 as a result of the draft in Vietnam era. In the US, the age of majority is 18, IMO full rights & responsibilities should be conferred at that time. If 18 is too young for one right, then the age should be raised for all.

As an additional bit of history to @GaryE above post

The British brought in the Abolition of Slavery Act in 1833 across all British owned land and Colonies.

In 1807 it was deemed illegal by British Parliamentray Act to purchase slaves from African countries, although despite this there was still a trade in the British Caribbean until the full Abolition Act was given Royal assent in 1833.

Yet we British invariably are at the wrong end of today's protests by those who still feel oppressed and offended by slavery and its origins....the British Isles and Colonies were a relatively small part of the trade that continued long after the British formerly abolished it by other countries such as Belgium, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal, to name but a few.

The fact that the British spearheaded the abolishment of slavery is a conveniently forgotten truth when the bandwagonners are out and about.

If you are not mature enough to drink or use a firearm responsibly, how are you mature enough to vote?
IIRC voting was reduced to 18 as a result of the draft in Vietnam era. In the US, the age of majority is 18, IMO full rights & responsibilities should be conferred at that time. If 18 is too young for one right, then the age should be raised for all.
You can join the army at age 17 and get deployed, using a M16 and a 9mm pistol for combat, firing live rounds. But once you get back home? You still can’t vote, legally own a gun, or legally drink. THAT is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back