Lost In Translation

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and since I don't know sign languages, worked internationally, and am not a scuba diver - no more hand signs to communicate. I mean, if I'm driving, I can use my hands to say things in a number of languages, confident that my feelings are being made very clear to the person who cut me off.

Oh, and since I don't know sign languages, worked internationally, and am not a scuba diver - no more hand signs to communicate. I mean, if I'm driving, I can use my hands to say things in a number of languages, confident that my feelings are being made very clear to the person who cut me off.
On a more humorous note, I watched a program that explored different non-verbal gestures worldwide. In one case (IIRC) the shrugging of shoulders meant 'OK' or 'Affirmative'. It showed a passenger in a taxi trike communicating with the native driver who repeatedly shrugged his shoulders when asked questions with a yes or no answer. :rofl:

The problem with that is that it enables those who wish to maliciously undermine society to control the language, and a free people. There is a good reason (in the US) why there is a First Amendment.
Maybe but you gotta roll with the punches sometimes...
If the word is considered hateful, don't use it then...

But you really don't wanna flip someone off... It's really not the kindest thing to do, even if the other people are being jerks

Maybe but you gotta roll with the punches sometimes...
If the word is considered hateful, don't use it then...
Nope, that is where we are now - Can't refer to some by their biological sex because they deem it hateful.
To keep people from speaking accurately and truthfully, you simply deem it hateful.

Have you seen the leaked Google code that suggests non-'offensive' words when editing Google Docs?

Nope, that is where we are now - Can't refer to some by their biological sex because they deem it hateful.
To keep people from speaking accurately and truthfully, you simply deem it hateful.

Have you seen the leaked Google code that suggests non-'offensive' words when editing Google Docs?
I will use whatever gender they prefer. If they look like a male I will say he and if they look like a girl I will say she (when first meeting them) and if they correct me I will use the opposite then.

I haven't seen that yet. Probably because I haven't used anything that could be taken offensive.

Hey, everybody. Thanks for playing nice on what could be a very contentious topic. I just want to remind everybody that the General Chat forum is intended for friendship and community building, but we are a fish-keeping forum. There are plenty of places online to discuss weighty, contentious issues. With very rare exceptions, this is not one of those places. So please keep things light and friendly--that's the purpose of this forum.

Now, if we want to discuss "lost in translation," have I ever told the story of the time I tried to explain snow to a Haitian?

I use one hand sign. Hand past my throat "cut it" means turn off the pressure washer. no one can hear past it.
Flipping someone off in Dallas Fort Worth is liable to get you shot, so I don't do that either. I just assume everyone has a gun in their pocket. I'm probably not too far off
Good assumption

Hey, everybody. Thanks for playing nice on what could be a very contentious topic. I just want to remind everybody that the General Chat forum is intended for friendship and community building, but we are a fish-keeping forum. There are plenty of places online to discuss weighty, contentious issues. With very rare exceptions, this is not one of those places. So please keep things light and friendly--that's the purpose of this forum.

Now, if we want to discuss "lost in translation," have I ever told the story of the time I tried to explain snow to a Haitian?

Years ago, one of my stepdaughters friends had seen snow from the LA basin, but never been nearer than dozens of miles away. It was an experience to touch it for the first time.

On the weighty issues ... I find it edifying, if kept light and friendly, or at least friendly, since I have come to somewhat know the denizens here and respect their opinions, even if we disagree. It is markedly different from some of the more 'open' message boards since we are more of a close knit community. YMMV, and of course rulez is rulez to be followed as directed :)

My occasional use of hand gestures when driving is rude, but we have gun control so no one dies. I keep my hands very polite when driving in the USA.

I am curious about where people are coming from. I don't have to agree with people or live in an echo chamber, and people here are very respectful to each other. We live in such different countries, at different ages and different experiences. Whatever we think, we aren't going to change the world on a fish forum. But with luck, we might come to understand it better.

My occasional use of hand gestures when driving is rude, but we have gun control so no one dies. I keep my hands very polite when driving in the USA.

I am curious about where people are coming from. I don't have to agree with people or live in an echo chamber, and people here are very respectful to each other. We live in such different countries, at different ages and different experiences. Whatever we think, we aren't going to change the world on a fish forum. But with luck, we might come to understand it better.
Yeah... I wish we had better gun laws here but money talks

Discussing guns starts flame wars, but without them around I can use my Greek hand gestures, learned from neighbours. I have to limit myself to swearing in Italian (I don't speak Italian except for driving) in danger zones.
@Rocky998 - you're a good person. Travel. Make it a future priority to see the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back