Lost Dead Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishman01

Reaction score
Hi I have a new set up, and new to fishkeeping I have a dwarf frogs a few tetras and had a couple o neon tetras one died and a 2 red craw clabs who mainly live inside my pirate ship, the other neon tetra is definately deceased as not seen for 2 days checked to see if been sucked into filter it hasnt so my question is do I just forget about the one dead neon I have not removed due to the fact i cant see it anywhere the only other place it can be is inside the ship but is it worth removing the ship and feaking out the crabs who dwell inside/around it or just leave it the crabs may well eaten it anyway????

how large is your tank? Has the tank been cycled.   If large enough and if it's cycled, one dead neon even if rotting probably won't spike up the ammonia or nitrite levels by much as the good bacs with absorb them.   If a very small tank, it may cause a moderate spike.  To be safe, you could do a couple of  large water changes spaced a few days apart....change out maybe 50-60% of water each time.

You can monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels with a test kit...hopefully you have one. 

Hi, my tank is i believe around 12 imperial gallons (60cm by 30 by 30). I didn't do a cycle as my fish shop said all i had to do with my set up was leave the system going with water in for 2 days wich I did. I have since learned that it would have been wise to have done a proper cycle first, I askd my fish shops opinion on this and if i should do regular small water changes and he said I would just extend the lenght of the cycle I realise his opinion is one that is not too popular on line it would seem but figured I would just take his advice as he was very confident he was correct and otherwise the shop is kept immaculately. and if they all I die I would just demand a refund, which I would hate as I have become very attached to my fish, frogs and crabs who I have since learned were pherhaps according some not a great idea (the crabs that is) anyway to late now until I can afford another tank.  I dont have a test kit yet but when the shop opens tomorow I will buy one as only just found out about them.  the fish were put in the tank on wednesday! thanks so much for help and any further help much appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back