Lost another fish a few days after finishing medication

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steelo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted about a week ago about Gouramis possibly introducing a nasty infection to my aquarium. I was advised to add API general cure and I added the recommended dosage for 2 days. I have since done about a 50% water change and put in a brand new filter cartridge. 1 day later, I lost another neon tetra. I am now very concerned since I've lost about 10 fish total to this illness. The fish will slowly lose weight and energy, become unable to swim and just die. There is another neon that appears to have lost a lot of weight, but he still is swimming with his group and eating. I also tested the water parameters yesterday and they appear to be normal - ammonia between 0 and 0.25 ppm, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 5 ppm

Should I add another dose of API general cure and change 75% of the water afterwards?

Last edited:
If you are treating fish for diseases like bacterial or protozoan infections, you need to treat for at least 1 week, and anywhere up to 2 weeks. However, if there is no improvement after 1 week of medication, then chances are it isn't working and you need something else.

I wouldn't change the filter cartridge because you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria.

------------------
It's a good idea to use the same thread if you are having problems in the same tank, because it has relevant information in it about the original problem.

If you do start a new thread, post pictures and link the address to the original thread so we can view it. :)

If you are treating fish for diseases like bacterial or protozoan infections, you need to treat for at least 1 week, and anywhere up to 2 weeks. However, if there is no improvement after 1 week of medication, then chances are it isn't working and you need something else.

I wouldn't change the filter cartridge because you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria.

------------------
It's a good idea to use the same thread if you are having problems in the same tank, because it has relevant information in it about the original problem.

If you do start a new thread, post pictures and link the address to the original thread so we can view it. :)
I'm sorry about that. I wasn't sure if I needed to create a new thread or not or if it would just be ignored if I continued the previous one.

I am a little confused though, the directions for API general cure say to treat for 2 days and then 48 hours later, do a 25% water change (I changed about 50%) This may sound terrible, but this 2 day dosage alone cost me $30....my wife may kill me if I continue dosing for 2 weeks!

You can feed it to the fish. Crush up one of the tablets and mix it in with some frozen (but defrosted) fish food. Then feed all the fish as much as they can eat. Do this 3 times a day for a week and see if it helps.

If you reduce the water level in the tank, you won't need as much medication. Make sure your filter still works tho.

You can feed it to the fish. Crush up one of the tablets and mix it in with some frozen (but defrosted) fish food. Then feed all the fish as much as they can eat. Do this 3 times a day for a week and see if it helps.

If you reduce the water level in the tank, you won't need as much medication. Make sure your filter still works tho.
That's a good idea, Colin. So, they come in powder packets and I have 1 packet left...should I mix it with the fish food for a week?

I don't know how big the packet is but you only need a small amount for the fish, so you should be able to use it in food for at least a few days, maybe more.

I don't know how big the packet is but you only need a small amount for the fish, so you should be able to use it in food for at least a few days, maybe more.
Thanks Colin, I don't have any frozen fish food so I was just going to mix it up with the bloodworms and flakes. Yummy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back