Lost A Panda Cory Today...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
So, I'm feeling a bit down today.  I lost a panda cory today - actually I must have lost him a day or two ago..  I found him floating this morning, with a bit of a fungus on him.  Water stats are perfect (NH3: 0ppm, NO2: 0ppm NO3: 40ppm - it was water change day anyway, and pH 6.2, which is all the normal stats for my tank on water change day, and has been for well over a year) and the rest of them seem just fine.  

On the subject of good news, the tiny baby panda I saw a few weeks ago has reappeared as a larger size, and the one that showed up in the tank listed below showed up at the same time, a bit smaller than the other - so I know they are both doing well.

I've had these cories for nearly two years now, and this is the first I've lost since the initial stocking.  I have 10, after losing this one and the two juveniles are added.  I started with 7, lost 4 early on, and kind of gave up on the idea of pandas, as I've heard they are more sensitive than most cories.  Then they started breeding and the numbers have climbed steadily since.  This is a sad, and happy day.

I'm in the process of completing a 50% water change...  Just sad to lose even one.  They are my favorite fish, and I can't stand to lose even one.

I lost a few corys when I accidentally restarted my cycle a few months back. I felt terrible - it was a pretty big die off in my tank. My Panda's are some of my favorite fish as well

When you say water stats are normal, Your Nitrate is hitting the high limit, I suggest you try and keep it under 40 rather than on it.

I know that.  The nitrates in my tap are 10-20ppm, so getting it much lower than 40ppm is virtually impossible by the end of the week, because of the spawning cories, my tank has gotten a bit overcrowded.  I'll be rehoming 4 larger cories in the next few days to the tank listed below, so that will help with the nitrate levels.  I may also rehome the BN pleco to the new tank as well...  But, I'll wait on that decision.

&%^%#!!!!

I am so mad at myself right now... I recently pulled a bunch of my LIVE plants out of my tank to put into the tank pictured below, and my "40ppm" might have actually bumped up above that (so hard to tell the difference with the API kit!).  The plants were my buffer against rising nitrates, and I didn't think taking the plants out that I did would affect the nitrate levels much... but it certainly seems that they have.  Looks like I'm off to the LFS for some more plants... I only removed about 1/4 - 1/3 of the plants, but apparently that might have been too much, especially with the increasing bioload of the cory numbers....

Every time I think I've got it all figured out, biology hits me with another blow.  Which leads me to a whole new question...  (New thread for the science section!!!)

The question is:  40ppm, is that using the ION or the nitrogen atom?  The API (which I use) measures the ION, but if its the ATOM, then my value would be less than 10ppm...  Which is it that is the goal?  40ppm ion or nitrogen atom?  If ION, then why would the API kit go to 160ppm?!  If the atom, then my nitrates are/were fine...  Anyone?!

When you say "ion" it's possible to have NO2- and NO2+ molecules. That's probably what the test kit means. I wouldn't say that Nitrogen on it's own is dangerous except to take oxygen out of the water to create the NO2. You cannot have more NO2 than you have Nitrogen, that would just be impossible. If your NO2 levels are 160...I'd do an immediate water change.

The question is: 40ppm, is that using the ION or the nitrogen atom? The API (which I use) measures the ION, but if its the ATOM, then my value would be less than 10ppm... Which is it that is the goal? 40ppm ion or nitrogen atom? If ION, then why would the API kit go to 160ppm?! If the atom, then my nitrates are/were fine... Anyone?!

I may be getting your question wrong as I am not sure what you mean without presenting it with it's chemical formulas but NO3− is what your test measures which is what we know by nitrAte or nitrAte Ion, or anion, or polyatomic ion, or a type of molecular ion in other words.  Nitrogen atom is N, which is an atom, and it's gas and is not in the air not in water. The test doesn't measure that. Nitrate Nitrogen(NO3-N) is a term used to represent the nitrogen(N) present in the nitrAte(NO3-) ion but the API test clearly says it measures total nitrate not nitrate nitrogen. My Nutrafin test says to divide the result by 4.4 to get the Nitrate Nitrogen instead.

I was going to suggest plants but you already have thought about it. It's the only way in your case to keep them very low. Or maybe some products in the filter that keep the nitrAtes low if the tank isn't planted.

The question is, do we want the NO3 level below 40ppm, or do we want the NO3-N value under 40ppm.   I've never really worried about one versus the other, and yes, I know my API kit tests for NO3.  Other test kits measure NO3-N.  So, their number is automatically going to be 4.4 times lower than mine.  

eaglesaquarium said:
The question is, do we want the NO3 level below 40ppm, or do we want the NO3-N value under 40ppm.   I've never really worried about one versus the other, and yes, I know my API kit tests for NO3.  Other test kits measure NO3-N.  So, their number is automatically going to be 4.4 times lower than mine.  

That's a good question. I don't know :) I always presumed we are talking about NO3.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back