Lost 2 Cory's In 2 Days!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all, i have a aqua one 620 tank and recently re-stocked it with 6 albino cory's, 4 molly's and 2 tetra's, within 24 hours of buying them a cory had died, so i took it back to my LFS along with a water sample from my tank of which everything came back fine and he replaced my fishy but 24 hours after that another cory had died, if its not the water what else could it be am i doing something wrong?? these cory's are very small babies could it be that they are just not strong enough? any advice would be great so thanks in advance, i love my cory's and its horrible to see them dying :(

I had that same problem when i bought 4 very small pygmys, just persevere. I bought 4 as company for my 2 adults and of that 4 only 2 survived, just avoid things that could stress them out like bright lights, change in water stats/temp, feed them well etc.
The 2 smaller ones are growing fine now and are active and healthy lol

aww its horrible isnt it, glad the others are growing good now, i do think the ones i have are to young/weak as i lost yet another this morning so i checked my levels again and had a tiny tiny bit of ammonia in there so i did 25% water change and added and air stone so it has plenty of oxygen, im still open to any advice or suggestions though people, thanks :)

It might just be weak stock on, the journey home from the store to your tank is a massive stress factor and by the time they are in your tank just cant cope with the stress and perhaps different water parameters. Did you take a while to adjust them and how are your nitrate levels?

It might just be weak stock on, the journey home from the store to your tank is a massive stress factor and by the time they are in your tank just cant cope with the stress and perhaps different water parameters. Did you take a while to adjust them and how are your nitrate levels?

i think your right it is huge for something so small, i left them floaing in my tank for about half hour then added some of my tank water to the bag then let them free another 15/20mins later, as for the nitrate levels there was a very slight trace and i mean slight i wouldnt even rate it at a 5.0ppm, like i posted earlier i did a 25% water change and added an air bar into the tank and since putting that in i have noticed all my fish seem so much happier (may sound strange lol) but i did see a difference, so fingers crossed my remaing 4 cory's will be strong and survive! :)

Hi bubblej17 :)

I noticed you mentioned that you are restocking your tank. There is a situation called Old Tank Syndrome that can result in new fish dying when they are introduced. Let me give you a link that explains it so you can rule this out if it's not the case.

http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html

Hi bubblej17 :)

I noticed you mentioned that you are restocking your tank. There is a situation called Old Tank Syndrome that can result in new fish dying when they are introduced. Let me give you a link that explains it so you can rule this out if it's not the case.

http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html

great link thanks for that, i didnt even know there was such a thing!! thanks again for everyones help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back