Loss My Panda Cory's Today

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
G

Guest147872

Today I loss 4 of my Panda Cory it look's like they developed something with there abdomen, It appeared pinkish and red on all of them, They were find last night and swimming like always and eating. Today at 3pm I noticed them dead. I checked my water and it was okay,

So am a little loss here for sure. There is no chemicals that I have used in this tank and water other then dechlorinator. I had them for over 2 years if I am correct I cant remember. Will half to find something else to put with the 12 Neon Tetras in the tank. Sucks that I loss them and I don't know why, They were cool and will be missed. Does not make since cause all my neon's are still alive and active.

Kh 3 or 4 Gh 3 or 4 Water Tap
Ph 6.0-6.5 Because of my water tap being 3.or 4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates Less then 10
Temp 72-74

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that pandas are very inbred(why I have avoided them, no matter how cute), which makes them very weak and delicate. They are prone to just falling over dead.

You said their stomachs looked red? Was is maybe an infection or parasite? Do you have any pictures?

If you lost 4 in a day there must be something wrong with the water.
A parasite or infection will hardly ever kill 4 in the same.day.

Sounds as if they encounteted nitrites

While I do agree with @Circus, I also agree with you. Panda Corydoras are very inbred, which means they are not hardy whatsoever.

My guess is that the water parameters fluctuated in some way, which killed them.

Have you added anything to the tank recently? Have any chemicals been used in the room that the tank is in?

While I do agree with @Circus, I also agree with you. Panda Corydoras are very inbred, which means they are not hardy whatsoever.

My guess is that the water parameters fluctuated in some way, which killed them.

Have you added anything to the tank recently? Have any chemicals been used in the room that the tank is in?

No nothing used or added. The 12 Neon Tetras in the tank are all still alive and healthy. Yeah makes no sense to me at all. I am thinking of just getting some Bolivian Rams to put in the tank with the Neon's. Not sure I want to chance anymore Panda Cory's right now, Plus they are pretty expensive if u can find them and the shipping rates are thru the roof too.

Ph 6.0-6.5 Because of my water tap being 3 or 4
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates Less then 10 ppm
Temp 72-74

Yeah and I have no idea why are how. Nothing changed that should of caused the deaths like that.

No nothing used or added. The 12 Neon Tetras in the tank are all still alive and healthy. Yeah makes no sense to me at all. I am thinking of just getting some Bolivian Rams to put in the tank with the Neon's. Not sure I want to chance anymore Panda Cory's right now, Plus they are pretty expensive if u can find them and the shipping rates are thru the roof too.

Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Temp 72-74
The fish probably didn't die because of ammonia, but I still recommend you perform a 40% water change to get rid of that 0.25ppm ammonia.

They could have died because they are super inbred and are susceptible to tiny fluctuations in water parameters, but I'm not sure.

Agreed, your tank should never have ammonia present, if it is cycled
What kind of test kit do you use? What water conditioner?

Agreed, your tank should never have ammonia present, if it is cycled
What kind of test kit do you use? What water conditioner?

API Master Freshwater Kit and up to date meaning new batch this year. My nitrites are always 0 too. This tank has been cycled and up for 2 years maybe even longer. Yesterday I did 50% water change. My readings today still the same and have only 12 Neon Tetra in there now.

Filtration AquaClear50, Sand Substrate, Java Moss and Dragon Stone.
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Temp 72-74

Yeah, strange, something caused that ammonia spike...could there possibly be anything else dead in the tank? Or rotting food?

Agree with the others here, pandas aren't the most hardy of the corydoras, for reasons mentioned

I'd do a large WC, monitor params, and hold off on getting new fish for a while...observe the remaining fish, see how they do

Yeah, strange, something caused that ammonia spike...could there possibly be anything else dead in the tank? Or rotting food?

Agree with the others here, pandas aren't the most hardy of the corydoras, for reasons mentioned

I'd do a large WC, monitor params, and hold off on getting new fish for a while...observe the remaining fish, see how they do

I do a WC of half tank water weekly, I have for many years now without any issues arising. This is why my Nitrates are always lower and my tank is clean. Yeah I had those cats for at least two years I know, Maybe it was just there time to go you know. I am a huge animal lover and appreciate life and all living things, You half to appreciate them they were here on earth before we were. Though it makes me sad to see something or someone die, I also know with life there will always be death too. Just making sure I did not do something wrong and I don't Think I did.

I do a WC of half tank water weekly, I have for many years now without any issues arising. This is why my Nitrates are always lower. Yeah I had those cats for at least two years I know, Maybe it was just there time to go you know. I am a huge animal lover and appreciate life and all living things, You half to appreciate them they were here on earth before we were. Though it makes me sad to see something or someone die, I also know with life there will always be death too. Just making sure I did not do something wrong and I don't Think I did.
Sounds like it was just their time to go...I had a batch of pandas that lasted about the same amount of time, I really liked them, but afraid they were just weak stock.

I don't think you did anything wrong either, just strange that they all passed at the same time...and odd about the ammonia, too

At any rate, sorry for the loss

Sounds like it was just their time to go...I had a batch of pandas that lasted about the same amount of time, I really liked them, but afraid they were just weak stock.

I don't think you did anything wrong either, just strange that they all passed at the same time...and odd about the ammonia, too

At any rate, sorry for the loss

Even when my Bio gets real dirty I always rinse it lightly in the same bucket of water from the tank. If advised I can add some bio booster to the tank but this tank is already cycled. I don't think I have loss my bio not after 2 years of the tank being cycled surely not. I am gonna check my water again paranoid now about it yep lol

Ph 6.0
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrites 0. ppm
Nitrates 5.0 ppm

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back