Looks Like Im Gonna Be A Gouramis Keeper

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Asidhunter

Reaction score
So after changing my mind on what type of fish i was going to keep i have finally settled on Gouramis, but that is as far as i have got. What i really want is a few different species that could live in the same 190L tank, or even to have a pair of gouramis as "feature fish" in a community type set up.

Right now im just looking for peoples opinions on the best route to take, also i really want to plant this aquarium but not need to use CO2 injection if it can be helped.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Asidhunter

Hi there, firstly co2 is not essential there are plenty of easy to grow plants that don't need it and will thrive.
Secondly, great choice of fish can I recommended the pearl gourami they are peaceful a decent size and stunning when they mature.

fish.gif
 Welcome to the world of gourami!
fish.gif

There are without a doubt my favourite freshwater fish, so I can fully understand the pull towards them.
Good luck in your adventures, do you have any particular fish in mind for your tank?

Unless you're getting sparkling/honey gourami's, I would never put a pair in together in any tank size. Depends on the size of the tank, opaline/blue/3spot/gold/lavendar/ext are the same species just with different color variations can get up to 15cm and are extremely aggressive to other gourami's and like species of fish (betta/angle). Mine just hang out around the top (or at the bottom behind her log), not too happy with strong currents. They wont bother any other types of fish, though finnippers should be avoided as tankmates. Tetras/cory's would be good shoaling fish companions.

DreamertK said:
Unless you're getting sparkling/honey gourami's, I would never put a pair in together in any tank size. Depends on the size of the tank, opaline/blue/3spot/gold/lavendar/ext are the same species just with different color variations can get up to 15cm and are extremely aggressive to other gourami's and like species of fish (betta/angle). Mine just hang out around the top (or at the bottom behind her log), not too happy with strong currents. They wont bother any other types of fish, though finnippers should be avoided as tankmates. Tetras/cory's would be good shoaling fish companions.

Now, you say this but i have 2 3-spot gourami and 6 honey gourami who live extremely happily side by side.
I think everything is to do with the individual fish. My honey came from the same parents and the 6 of them enjoy playing and swimming around as somewhat of a school...
Kissing gourami pairs can make an excellent feature pair. :) 

DreamertK said:
Every fish has it's own temperament, so just making a sweeping statement such as this is incorrect.

I keep 3x Pearl Gourami, 3x Opaline Gourami, 5x Angel Fish & 2x Dwarf Gourami all in the same tank - and they swim around happy as heck. No fin nipping, no chasing, just happy to see anyone who approaches the tank, thinking they have food! :)

I haven't been in the fish keeping game for long, but the time I have been in it I have learnt that you should take everything you read with a pinch of salt. Take them as guidelines only, in the end it will be different for all of us.

I would still never put a pair together again.

Maybe the gourami bred in my area were given the taste for blood. Though my gourami love me and don't mind anything else in the tank, they hate each other.

That is true.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back