Looking to make a small profit with a fishkeeping project. Thoughts and advice?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Did you get a water sprite plant?
Because that is easy to grow and one of the best floating plants around. It can also be planted in the gravel where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.

Did you get a water sprite plant?
Because that is easy to grow and one of the best floating plants around. It can also be planted in the gravel where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.
I have a little bit of water sprite already!

Under good conditions Water Sprite can get to over 2 feet in diameter and have roots that are 18 inches long, and the plant can stick out of the water about 10-12 inches. I had one in a 4x2x2ft tank and it turned into a mother ship and filled the tank. When I sold it, we put it in an esky and it filled that and hung over the sides.

Under good conditions Water Sprite can get to over 2 feet in diameter and have roots that are 18 inches long, and the plant can stick out of the water about 10-12 inches. I had one in a 4x2x2ft tank and it turned into a mother ship and filled the tank. When I sold it, we put it in an esky and it filled that and hung over the sides.
Mine doesn’t hardly grow at all! I got water wisteria hoping it fairs better in my tanks

Mine doesn’t hardly grow at all! I got water wisteria hoping it fairs better in my tanks
either increase the light or add more fertiliser
my tank was 4x2x2ft and had 6 x 4ft long fluorescent globes over it. Each globe was 36 or 40 watts so the Water Sprite got a fair amount of light.

I also used Sera Florena (liquid iron based aquarium plant fertiliser) and kept the iron levels at 1mg/l (1ppm).

First batch of plants came today! The salvinia looks rough from the shipping, it felt like ice. The seller included a free stem of Bacopa australis. Can this be layed on its side to grow more shoots as well?

Can the Pennywort lay on its side and grow more shoots too?

The seller included a free stem of Bacopa australis. Can this be layed on its side to grow more shoots as well?
Yep. Most aquatic plants that are sold as cuttings, can be laid on their side on the substrate and weighted down so you get lots of shoots coming up along the stem. Vallis, Sword plants and Crypts can't be laid on their side but most others can.

Yep. Most aquatic plants that are sold as cuttings, can be laid on their side on the substrate and weighted down so you get lots of shoots coming up along the stem. Vallis, Sword plants and Crypts can't be laid on their side but most others can.
Ok, great! Thanks!
Pennywort normally grows along the ground and branches out sideways, not upwards towards the light.
Hmmmmm interesting. I’ve noticed that’s what my dwarf Pennywort does. The brazilian Pennywort ive had in the past did incredibly well and grew up up up towards the light, but would also sometimes grow towards the sides. Would it have anything to do with the nutrients available in the substrate vs the water column?

Pennywort is a marsh plant that prefers wet feet and dry leaves. When kept underwater, it tries to grow towards the light.

Any updates?
No. I’ve been so busy between normal life and family health problems, I’ve just been focusing on enjoying the fish and aquariums and plants that I already have. Whenever im out to Lowe’s I’ll get a couple wading pools and throw some floating plants out there

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back