Looking Into Keeping Bettas....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Haych

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
OK, first of all i have a 60ltr aquaone horizon tank, and currently have a jewel 180 Rio in fishless cycle, so at the end of october i will (hopefully) be moving onto bettas

Ive seen some tanks on here divided intt sertions to house more than 1 betta, now this sounds like a fantastic idea, but is the reality as simple? if its partitioned off, can 1 heater, 1 filter etc be used or will they need one each?

second of all, how much space/ltr per fish is adequate as i would like to but don't know of its possible partition the litre into 2 and have 1 male and 2 females per partition, but i need to know if this is to much etc.

also if the tank can be partitioned successfully, how would i go about filtering both partitions and heating all the water equally?

sorry if its a repost, Ive tried to look through the links provided on the main betta page but its an absolute minefield!

thanks again

Haych

OK, first of all i have a 60ltr aquaone horizon tank, and currently have a jewel 180 Rio in fishless cycle, so at the end of october i will (hopefully) be moving onto bettas

Ive seen some tanks on here divided intt sertions to house more than 1 betta, now this sounds like a fantastic idea, but is the reality as simple? if its partitioned off, can 1 heater, 1 filter etc be used or will they need one each?
yes, 1 filter and 1 heater for the whole tank. You can divide tanks cheaply using Craft Grids and Paper Binders

second of all, how much space/ltr per fish is adequate as i would like to but don't know of its possible partition the litre into 2 and have 1 male and 2 females per partition, but i need to know if this is to much etc.
i'd say 3 males so thats 20l each. If you want to have females, to keep the fighting down you will have to have about 8, and they will take the whole tank.

also if the tank can be partitioned successfully, how would i go about filtering both partitions and heating all the water equally?
yes, by using a spray bar which is attached onto the filter

sorry if its a repost, Ive tried to look through the links provided on the main betta page but its an absolute minefield!

thanks again

hope that helps :)

thanks for that

to clarify, would that be 3 males and 8 females, or 1 male and 8 females? and how wuld the filtration work? would they see each other through the partitions etc?

No either choose the 3 males with tank dividers or the 8 females.
Choose 1 of the options. And no, the bettas wont be able to see each other through the partitions enough to make them flare and be aggresive.

thats fine, just read it again and relaised what i said :blush: lol i know its only one male

you just answered me lol

i think i might go for the 60l divided into two then...

you could divide two 3g sections off for to males and then in the rest have 5 females and a 5 corys

right, am extremely confused now :(

i was told by betta_246 that I could have 8 females and one male.....,, and was also told by Shirley Aquatics that you use the same rule of thumb for male:female ratio as you do with guppies,, being 1:2 or 1:3

YET i have been laughed at in other posts as other users say you CANNOT do this???

so what is it, can you keep male and females together or not??

Thanks in advance

Hayley

you cant keep male and female together but you can keep them in the same tank is you have a divider and have the male on one side and the females on the other thats why i sed
you could divide two 3g sections off for to males and then in the rest have 5 females and a 5 corys

heres the sort od divider i mean
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12x16-inch-30x40-cm-...id=p3286.c0.m14

this is my tank i have a male betta in the left section and a pair of apisto in the right section
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/dsc00004k.jpg/

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back