Looking for intereting nano (25l ish) ideas/inspiration.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So I have a little spot on my desk where I could probably fit a 25L (ish) tank. Not really got much idea what I would put it it though.

Some brief ideas I had.
A planted betta tank.
A planted FW invert tank.
A saltwater invert tank.
Maybe an endler tank for a couple of endler (not looked at suitability of this yet. Just my daughter loved them when we where at the fish shop).
Killifish? (I don't know much about these other then the odd life cycle and that a lot of them are very pretty, would do a lot of research first).
I have quite a bit of experience with freshwater and saltwater so not afraid to try anything also quite happy to DIY stuff.

Any interesting or odd ideas out there I would love to see/ hear about.

personally i would recommend either a betta only tank or a shrimp only tank, 25l (6.5 US gals) is a very small tank, very few fish aside from betta is suitable for this sized tank.

I have had 3 black bar endlers in a similar sized tank years ago when I was a newbie and thought they were good, but I learned later that this was wrong and I moved them to a 3 foot long tank with 6 more black bar endlers, wow, talk about behavioural changes!!

Their colours bloomed and they swam around a lot more and had voracious appetites. Never again will I recommend endlers into a tank less than 40 litres (10 US gals) 2 foot long tank, absolute minimum, in fact would recommend a nice planted 3 foot tank is good for a good number of endlers.

Despite certain well known websites saying you can keep a number of nano / small fish in a nano tank is not wholly accurate in my own opinion, as these fish, other than a single betta or shrimp, will simply not thrive in such small tanks.

Betta or shrimps only tank set ups can be beautiful, add lots of live plants and natual decor, being a small tank this can be easily accomplished. I am a fan of this type of set up as I have had a number of nano tanks in the past.

No idea about saltwater invert tank so cannot comment on that really am afraid.

Thanks. Yeah had a quick look at endlers just now and ruled them out. I can see how people fall into these traps though. When I saw them in the shop I thought, hmm they are pretty small a couple in a little tank would probably be ok. I thankfully know enough to always check it out first though.

I agree there is not much I could think of that I would want to keep in such a small tank. Saltwater wise maybe some hermits or small shrimp would be find but keeping it stable at that size is pretty hard.

I don't know much about the more oddball fish though so didn't know if there was anything out there I might not have come across.

I do love bettas though and have never actually had one so might go do that direction with some nice small carpeting plants.

A planted betta tank
✅

A planted FW invert tank
✅

A saltwater invert tank
????

endler tank
⛔

Killifish?
✅ according to adulte fish size.

You could get a pea puffer!
They were pretty damn cute
⛔ this species is a shoaling species and should never be housed alone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back