FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RWC52

Reaction score
I just got a 29 gallon tank and am currently in the process of cycling it, and am trying to decide which fish i want to stock it with. I had some ideas but was hoping to get some advice from people who are a bit more experienced.

My idea was to have:
- Two or Three Dwarf Gourami
- a school of neon tetras (8-12)
- 6-8 panda corydoras
- and possibly a couple invertebrates (amano shrimp or dwarf crayfish?)

Any advice and ideas are appreciated
Thank You

We need a couple of details from you first.

How hard is your tap water? You should be able to find that from your water supplier's website (we need a number and the unit as they could use any of half a dozen units). If they don't give it, take some tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test GH. Again make sure they give you the number and unit.
The fish on your list are all soft water fish so you need to make sure your water is suitable for them. Or if the water turns out to be hard, select different, hard water fish.

Are dwarf gouramis absolutely essential? Most of the dwarf gouramis bred in the far east are already infected with one or both of the incurable diseases dwarf gourami idiovirus and TB. Unless you can source them from a local breeder, I would go with an alternative fish.

Go for shrimps rather than crayfish. There is the saying that fins and claws don't mix, and crayfish can nip fins or even catch and eat small fish.
What do you have on the bottom of the tank? Sand is preferable for bottom dwellers such as cories. If you have gravel, now is the time to change it while you are still cycling.

The only number I can find for my water hardness is 200ppm and the gouramis are not necessary. If this hardness doesn't work do you have some ideas for what different fish I could use? And I have sand at the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for your quick reply

With a hardness of 200 ppm I would avoid neons. Your hardness is right at the top end of their range, and fish do better where hardness is in the middle of their range. As you can see here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/ neons' range is 18 to 215 ppm so somewhere in the region of 100 ppm is best for them.

Could you tell us how long your tank is, please? Some tanks are tall and thin while others are long and short. The length of the tank is important when choosing fish as fast swimmers do better in a long tank for example. I wouldn't like to suggest a fish that needs a long tank if yours is a tall tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back