Looking for Goodea gracilis "Rio San Juan Del Rio" in the USA

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrissfishes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some Goodea gracilis "Rio San Juan Del Rio" Miller collection in the USA . I have a small group but looking to add more for new genes. These fish are very rare and endangered in the wild. I am working with friends of mine to build up the numbers in captivity, keep them long term, help save them and keep them going. If anyone has any or know someone keeping them please let me know. My e-mail: Falcon034 at aol dot com. Thank you very much! Take care. Chris

HI Chris how are things going with your goodeids ?
I don't know of anyone over here keeping them

Try to contact the NAGWG (North American Goodeid Working Group). There must be someone who may have them.

HI Chris how are things going with your goodeids ?
I don't know of anyone over here keeping them
Hi Gary,
Things are going well. Still trying to get my Xenotoca melanosoma "Granja Sahriupa" to breed. Had a couple mishaps but trying to bounce back.
How are you and your fish doing? Will be sending you a PM. Have a couple questions.
Ok, completely understand. The only other person keeping them I know of in captivity is Michael Kock. Sent some to him a couple years ago. This location is endangered. Was originally collected by Robert Rush Miller. Jim Langhammer gave me the collection field notes. Been keeping them since 2011 though trying to find some more to bring in new genes. I haven't been successful in finding them in the USA. Have posted all around with no results.

Thanks for the reply Gary, eatyourpeas, and emeraldking! Unfortunately, haven't been successful in finding some. Have asked Greg, have posted on Facebook, have checked with NAGWG, etc. I have even tried tracking down people who purchased these fish on aquabid a few years ago and coming up empty. People don't keep them going for very long. Which is what my friends and I are trying to do, is keep them longterm, build secure captive populations, make changes/fix the problem, help aquarists and the fish, etc.

Thanks for the reply Gary, eatyourpeas, and emeraldking! Unfortunately, haven't been successful in finding some. Have asked Greg, have posted on Facebook, have checked with NAGWG, etc. I have even tried tracking down people who purchased these fish on aquabid a few years ago and coming up empty. People don't keep them going for very long. Which is what my friends and I are trying to do, is keep them longterm, build secure captive populations, make changes/fix the problem, help aquarists and the fish, etc.
Well, I'm a goodeid fan as well. And there are more goodeids that are labeled being "endangered". So yes, it's a good thing of you and your friends to maintain the species in captivity. And that some day a number of specimens can be released again in free nature. We've got a similar project going on as well. And we also try to preserve the species to be kept by serious keepers. Unfortunately, I don't have this specific goodeid species. I'm not sure wether Michael Köck might have them at this point. If you can't find his contact details, try facebook. He's active overthere.

Most reactions

trending

Back