looking for good scavenger to clean left over food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loveless

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a few cats and they don't clean up after being feed shrimp pellets

so I have some left over pellets on the bottom of my tank and it really stands out over white sand.

I know ghost shrimp is a scavenger but I visited 4 lfs without luck. So what should I get to help me scavenge the left over food on the bottom of the tank? Something that'll dig in the sand for food would be great too

Hi Loveless :)

If this is the tank you were talking about setting up just a few days ago, you have more to think about than shrimp. :X

This tank isn't cycled and it has 14 fish in it already--not to mention that if you don't even know the name of the catfish you have, that means you don't know how big they will get. And, you are overfeeding them.

Please don't think about adding any more living creatures to this tank until you get it cycled. Here is the article about cycling and avoiding new tank syndrome:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=10099

Here is a link to a site that will help you identify your catfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

hey inchworm, thanks for the advice but I Already moved most of the fish back to my cycled 10 gallon tank 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 6 nitrate. I am left with 4 serpae tetra in thr 20 gallon.

this is the cat I Got, what is it called? I got it because the label said it'll grow up to 3inch at best
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/260_1.php

I still need some suggestions for the scavenger

It is a Peppered Corydora Catfish.

so I have some left over pellets on the bottom of my tank and it really stands out over white sand.

I know what you mean. If there is food you are probably feeding them too much. Usually it is poo, so just vacuum that off.

ghost shrimp
catfish (other type i guess?)

in a matter of fact, the best way to stop food from getting to the bottom is, turn the filter of and feed, intil all is fed.
then only give a tiny amount of food at a time, and watch it, so that no food falls to the floor, this is what i have always done, keep a net (if u have on) and if the food starts dropping pick it up

this all depends on what u feed, what do u feed?

then i can relate properly :) good luck

the pillets has to drop down to the tank since the cats won't eat the flakes from the water surface,

I'll reduce the amount of food I give and see what happens

For catfish only feed what will be completely cleared in 3 minutes, if any food is left over after this time then you are over feeding. This rule does not cover plecs which may need up to a hour to feed on algea wafers, if there is any food left on the bottom of the tank after these times then it should be removed right away.
Vegetable foods like lettuce and courgette/cucumber can be left over night.

its a pepperd catfish and its right 3 inch max.. starts with cor......dunno how to spell the exact name.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back