looking for an oddball

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 30 GL which has been overcome with livebearers...I have been selling them to the LFS but now they are only gonna exept them as feeders. i ahve been using the ill and inbred ones as feeders for my aquatic snake, but he can only eat so much. As it is unreasonable to sell them for pennies each, I am considering getting an oddball to take care of the problem. It will need to fit in a 30 GL for now, I am considering either a bicher or catfish...i have close to 50 bucks to spend on one so money isnt a problem...I am over run with livebearers and cichlids and they currently hold around 5 tanks alone! Does anyone have any ideas?

Couldn't you take the livebearer fry and feed them to the cichlids?

Not that this helps with your choice of an oddball.

OK. Well Ropefish are thin but long. They grow to about 8". PFK says you could keep one of them in a 30 gallon tank.

rope fish aren't really considered rare, infact there quite common.

rope fish can grow to 3ft although more often only getitng to 18" i don't think 1 would be suitable for the job.

a senegal bichir would be a better choice along those lines, although i think 3 pim pictus would do a better job.

along the lines of the pictus, and not really an oddball, but bumblebee catfish will def. do the job and are actually very cheap around here at least

Asian bumblebee cat (6"): Asian Cat
South American bumblebee cat (2.5"): SA Cat

I agree with the bumblebee catfish. You could maybe get 2 or 3 south american bumblebee catfish. I had one in my 30 gallon and it ate all of the fry in one night except for 7 that I quickly scooped out of the tank with a net to save them because I wanted to raise some of them. :thumbs:

Well i dont need something that can eat all the fry just something to keep it under management. I think pictus sound good...I'll just check with my LFS to see what they got. :D

sorry but there either going to eat them all or leave them all!!

there aren't any part time predactors!!

I don't think pictus would be a good choice as I believe they get around 6 inches and like to be in groups. Your tank is too small for a group of 3 pictus. Go with the bumblebee catfish. :thumbs:

I would agree on the pictus not fitting in that tank. They get pretty huge. I gave one to a friend to go with her red tailed shark in her 10 gallon tank once. In 2 weeks that pictus had eaten the shark. After that it grew like a weed and every fish she tried to replace got eaten so she began to give it feeder goldfish. It grew to 6" in her 10 gallon tank within weeks and could hardly swim around.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back