Looking For An External Filter, Recommendations ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kylealastairlove

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi people, what would you say is the best value for money external filter

as i want something that i know is going to work but not something that's stupidly expensive as i don't have a big budget for this, if anybody knows of any decent ones that arent too expensive then let me know :) 

RENA Filstar XP2 for up to 75gallons, high quality, durable, affordable, effective and easy basket levelled filtration system. Low as $120, I currently run RENA Filstar XP models on most of my tanks, with the exception of my 125 gallon as I'm using a Fluval FX5 (Which is the wallet killer of all external canister filters lol)

Aquamanta range from maidenhead. Big lph and cheap, all there range is fairly solid and well worth a look at. Have a look at there filters on there website :3 I use the 1000u myself.

What size tank do you have?

thanks for the replies people! ah yes would have been a good idea to tell you the tank size :p its 120 liters :)

After lots of research & questions on various forums I decided on a tetratec ex1200.
Had it for 3months on my fluval Roma 200 & it's been faultless.

They're currently £86.82 on the pets supermarket website. There is a voucher online somewhere that's gets you £10 off if you spend £89 though.

yeah i've been looking at the tetratec, but i was looking at the EX600 version for up to 120 litres, so it'd just be at the limit. or do you think the EX700 would be better ? 

Planted tank ?
I have the EX600 (excellent filter) on my 60L and the flow is only just good enough.
If you're looking for value for money then something like an APS might be better.Get the biggest you can afford, the flow drop off is quite large.
Tetratec & Eheim are excellent filters but cost.
JBL are pretty good to.The JBL E901 might be worth looking at.Note the 'E'. much lower power consumption

Well like I suggest if you want good flow and 4 years warranty check aquamantas filters. Epic lph, tetratecs dont have great flow but are overall good filters.

ahh glad you say that actually, because the juwel lido is more of a tall/deep tank so i will be needing something with a good flow, i'll check out the aquamanta's now :D 

kylealastairlove said:
thanks for the replies people! ah yes would have been a good idea to tell you the tank size
tongue2.gif
its 120 liters
smile.png

aquaclear 70

stu40 said:
What size tank do you have?

Excellent question !

Cheers, I did find it strange that people were recommending filters without knowing what size the tank was! And TetraTec filters have great flow so dont be put off.

If you have the money you wont go far wrong with a EX1200. I run a EX700 and a EX1200 on my Roma200 and also have a spare EX1200 sitting in the loft as a back up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back