looking for advice on guppy fry.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lauren75

Reaction score
this is the first time raising guppy fry i have some that are 9 days old and some that are 3 days old. i would like more information on growth rates when they get their colors etc.. does anyone know of a guppy fry journal or growth/color chart. currently they are receiving 50% water changes every 2 days 12 hours of light a variety a food 5 times a day shrimp,blood worms, algae wafers, & tropical flakes there heater keeps the water between 78-80F i just want to make sure my fry are developing at the correct pace. also what is this im learning about guppies having bent spines? would i be able to see that visually and information on culling would be nice. any links, info, tips, or advice is greatly appreciated ! =] thanks in advance.
https://imgur.com/ffaDZG6

The fry look like they’re growing just fine, they should be big enough to not fit in their parents mouths after about a month, so they look like they’re on their way. About color, you can tell for some immediately, like fry from yellow guppies will have a yellow tint, etc, but as for patterns and stuff it may take until they’re a young adult. About the bent spine thing, if it looks like your guppies have their tails angled down, or if it looks like they’re having “contractions” and bringing their tail down repeatedly, it’s likely a sign of environmental stress, so you should check your water quality. Otherwise, it may just be something they’re born with.

The fry look like they’re growing just fine, they should be big enough to not fit in their parents mouths after about a month, so they look like they’re on their way. About color, you can tell for some immediately, like fry from yellow guppies will have a yellow tint, etc, but as for patterns and stuff it may take until they’re a young adult. About the bent spine thing, if it looks like your guppies have their tails angled down, or if it looks like they’re having “contractions” and bringing their tail down repeatedly, it’s likely a sign of environmental stress, so you should check your water quality. Otherwise, it may just be something they’re born with.
ok so i need to cull any that look bent? they are growing fine and im doing good so far. great to hear that! it will be so rewarding watching them grow.

ok so i need to cull any that look bent? they are growing fine and im doing good so far. great to hear that! it will be so rewarding watching them grow.

You could, but if they all look bent then there’s probably an underlying issue with the water or your routine. Easiest way to cull them I’ve found is catch them with a fine net then use a turkey baster to suck them up and relocate them. They’re very fast, so the net should help you catch them quickly and accurately.

You could, but if they all look bent then there’s probably an underlying issue with the water or your routine. Easiest way to cull them I’ve found is catch them with a fine net then use a turkey baster to suck them up and relocate them. They’re very fast, so the net should help you catch them quickly and accurately.
how old does this bent spine develop?i dont notice it in any of my fry yet.

I’m not exactly sure, but you’d probably be able to see it in your fry a little bit already, but I wouldn’t worry about it even if they are a little bent, it doesn’t affect the fish in any other way.

I’m not exactly sure, but you’d probably be able to see it in your fry a little bit already, but I wouldn’t worry about it even if they are a little bent, it doesn’t affect the fish in any other way.
ok thanks so much for the information. im relieved to hear that they are where they are supposed to be development wise.

Guppies can take a wide temperature range if you want to get the best out of them drop the temp- a bit. I keep all my guppies about 70f-72f I have never let them go above 74f. My fish never suffer with bent spines unless they are really old and very rarely do they get sick. As far as I am concerned 78f-80f is too high and may lead to problems and a shorter lifespan. Most will sex out by the age of 3 months and carry on developing their full colour up to six months or more. I found at the lower end temp- less acceptable to diseases and longer lived.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back