Looking for a freshwater fish that will school tight like Anchovies in the ocean? I got it here..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Moenkhausia costae. Now,this isn't just because many are in this aquarium. I saw a George Farmer video of a 20 gallon aquarium with only 10 or so of these fish...and they stayed shoulder to shoulder back and forth. I've never seen such a small group act as one before. Usually you have to buy 50 or 100 of some tetra and still HOPE to get the anchovies look. This fish does it at half a dozen. They are not cheap.. 5 for $40 one site on the internet wanted. But,if you want the best...‍That emoji I just deleted? I didn't put it there. Who did?

Last edited:
Yes, most Tetras species are quite tight schooling fish...

From my experience, Harlequin Rasboras and Rummy Nose Tetras are very tight schooling fish.
Their schooling behaviour is also affected by the size of the tank.
In smaller tank, you won't see much schooling behaviour.
Also, in bigger group you will see more of their behaviours.

Last edited:
No,those fish dont school anywhere as tight as these. The George Farmer vid had shown how few it takes and even in a small aquarium. I never saw anything like it and George had said pretty much that too.

I think the cheapest schooling fish that I have come across is the Albino Tiger Barbs with white stripes, orange body (small size) which cost about US 25cents each in my country.

The second cheapest schooling fish that I had seen are Neon Tetras which cost about US 40 cents each.

Others are like Harlequin Rasboras (60cents), Rummy nose Tetras and Cardinal Tetras (75cents) each.

Probably I should try keeping a big group of schooling fish...
It's nice to see their effects..

I used to have 8-10 Harlequin Rasboras tht moved in tight group like the Romans soldiers... All moving and facing one direction...

Last edited:
There is a difference between schooling and shoaling. Schooling fish, such as many marine species act and move as as single entity, almost as if they were connected to a single brain. Sorry if that sounds a bit scifi but it is the best description I can think of. Shoaling fish are social fish and like to hang out in groups of their own species for security. The more there are and the less stressed these fish are the looser they shoal. When they are stressed their first response is to huddle together. The best example of this in my tanks is the CPD. These are incredibly timid, shy fish. When someone enters the room or makes a noise they immediately all come together before taking cover and seemingly disappearing.

Tetras are shoaling fish - not schooling fish. My own group of 50ish tetras (cardinals and glowlights) tend to fill my tank and you would not call them a school. But when my cat jumps onto the aquarium lid and tries to fish through the glass they form into a very tight group (don't worry it is secure, and he rarely does this). I am not familiar with Moenkhausia costae but they are tetras. The description of them swimming shoulder to shoulder in a small group suggests they are terribly stressed. I have not seen the video so I will not guess at the reason. This is one of the reasons why I tend to avoid the showcases of so called professional aquascapers or such competitions. I cannot support an activity where artistic effect takes precedence over the well being of the fish - or indeed any living creature.

I haven't kept the fish personally,but I've never seen any aquarium fish stay shoulder to shoulder like that and they do it in any video you can see of them on youtube. I tend to think its the real deal as the price reflects that. No other reason for them to be so costly as they have no color or interesting shape..it's all the behavior you are paying for.
Almost two years ago I bought five bleeding hearts for the 240. Now,I have five who seem to divide the tank into five territories.. I might as well have bought just one!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back