Looking For A Fish To Add To My Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Imcanadieneh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok So I really want to add like one or two fish to my 40 gallon. Right now it is home to my 6 inch JD who is very docile. He used to live in a 30 gallon with two convict cichlids until he got to big but he never seemed to care that anything was in there with him. Its a 40 high so I'm thinking something that will stay around mid level to top. I'm thinking maybe some angels. Would they get along? Maybe one other cichlid? The tank is sand bottom and had slate rocks all over with lots of hiding spots. I just don't want to add a school of small fish.

Your going to need atleast get a 90 gallon as JD will and easily will reach about a foot. So but you can grow the JD out in the 40 for a few months. But I would get a bigger tank asap.
As for tankmates, I'd suggest a Gold Saum, or a White Saum. No not because I am a green terror fan, lol but because they will reach about 10-12'' as well and will do well with the JD. A royal green terror which is really colorful will do well as well. Research the green terrors I listed and see what you like.
Firemouths- a pair or trio of firemouths would work as well. They will max out at about 6-7'', and are one cool cichlid. I like when their gills flare and they have a nice patch of orange. Check out google for pics. Should be fine with a JD.
Convicts- Will also do well, but not as pretty as the others.
There are many other choices, but like I said you'll need to upgrade your tank to either a 90-150. If you get a 125-150 you can have the 1 jd, 1 royal gt, 1 gold saum, 2-3 firemouths, convicts, and dithers.

In reality, very, very few JD's would make it to anywhere near a foot. 10" is a more realistic maximum. But a 40 gallon is still going to a temporary home, unless you want to stunt the fish, and make it rather miserable in a cramped home.
A 75 gallon would be a much more acceptable long term home. In that sort of tank, you could succesfully mix with a small number (2-3) of smaller, relatively sturdy central americans. Something like firemouths, sajicas, rainbow cichlids, convicts, etc.
I would doubt that angels would cope long-term with a JD, as they are just not really able to defend themsleves, or escape swiftly, when faced with a grumpy, large JD (and all JD's will have their grumpy moments).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back