Looking For A Breeding Pair

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MisssMarie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm going to start looking around for a breeding bettas. A male and female. What should I look for in the male? Female? Should I do halfmoon or crowntail? My local fish store generally gets in some good bettas so I'll pick from theirs - and take my time with it. I decided not to use my current bettas because none are a good fit.

depends what you wish to achieve? if your after a certain colour/tail etc

red is the most dominant colour and VT most dominant tail

I wouldnt recommend getting a pet store Betta if you are looking for a quality pair. Since you have access to AB I would look for a proven breeding pair on there, martinismommy usually has some good ones for reasonable prices. The person on the front page is actually her. Her name is Karen Mac Auley.

The IBC should give you some information on standards, I would just post some pics on a pair you'd like so we can evaluate them.
http://www.ibcbettas.org/

I can't order any fish for a while off of Aquabid because someone stole my card and until we get that all sorted out, its just not possible, so, that's why i need to buy from the store. And, I'm not too concerned about buying from them because their bettas are usually good quality, and, a worker who I've bought a good betta from got his pair there

Do you know what good quality in the Betta world means? Good finnagge, balanced rays, right amount of rays, exceptional color, young age, 100 degree caudal fin spread in HM's, how in HM's the anal, caudal, and dorsal have to line up nicely, how the anal has to be an exact length, etc. do you know the diffenc ebetween a traditional, asymmetrical and symmetrical PK? I would look into the IBC standars so you can evaluate the fish at the store with your own knowledge. A junior member ship only costs 14 dollars. The others aren't even that higher.

http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABPKproposal.htm

185e9483.jpg

8a1ff068.jpg

2179bd00.jpg

820136f3.jpg

6d5a02ba.jpg

4a4406ab.jpg

92905101.jpg

e9178512.jpg

You should look for a well matched pair from a specialty breeder. You decide what colors and tail types you like. If you are going to try breeding, please do not become another person who breeds substandard bettas because they didn't start with superb stock. A good pair will run a pretty penny but the difference in the next generation of fish is well worth it.

Trust me, I won't pick a substandard pair. The worker knows the breeder personally. Great bettas, great conditions. I'm thinking of a crowntail perhaps? They have a great one I'll try to get pics of tomorrow, he's still young

Oh yeah, their current batch is all 3-4 and his size is that of all my bettas at 3monfhs

Definitely will do! What about a plakat female? That sound like a good idea to strengthen the fins/rays?

Plakats introduce short fins genes Ito the lines and help thicken body form, along with ray branching. Don't breed an HM or CT with a PK genotype with another HM or CT with a PK genotype unless you desire to produce some PK's into your line. Also remember that HM is a recessive gene and even with an HM x HM spawn you won't produce 100% HM's

Yep! I know that you often get Super Deltas in HM x HM pairs. I'll get a pic of that CT male tomorrow, and, if the response is positive, he'll come home with me on Wednesday haha. He's got some nice color

I apologize for the not so great pics, but, at the very least this will give you a rough idea of his coloring and body. He seems like he’d be a good choice and he has great coloring. If I time it right, I may be able to use my crowntail female as a mate for him. He was being a substrate surfer - kept checking out all the shrimp.

c83806f7.jpg

512d8103.jpg

69f899b1.jpg

4dea22d5.jpg

a8690356.jpg

ce5cb859.jpg

What do you guys think? I'll be going back later to try and get better pics

He has what I call a spoon head. This is a major deformity and can lead to spinal issues, he also has unbalanced rays from what I can see. I don't specialize in CT's so I can't tell you anything other than that

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back